form of protection?

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
RDionysus

form of protection?

Post by RDionysus »

Good looking program! I'm currently evaluating it, thinking about changing programs, but I cannot find any information in the literature about what encryption methodologies are employed to protect your data. If the author or anyone else in the know could respond it would be greatly appreciated!
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

When password protected, MyInfo files are encrypted using the standard Zip files encryption algorithm used in WinZip and other applications.
RDionysus

Post by RDionysus »

Petko,
Thank you for your prompt and candid response. I am very disappointed, however, that such an evidently well-developed program is relying on a weak and outmoded form of protection. When used regularly, programs of this type are used to organize and warehouse some of the most private data a person may have. It doesn't make sense that the data is being protected by the zip obfuscation scheme, which is easily cracked in a few minutes with many public domain programs. It's like making a luxury automobile, and the manufacturer leaving out door locks or an alarm system. Hopefully you will rectify this in the future; I will check back periodically.
Thanks.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Thank you for your opinion on this.
bkonia

Post by bkonia »

I totally agree with RDionysus. Standard WinZip encryption is a joke. However, WinZip now offers AES as an encryption option, so I don't undersrtand why you can't support AES.

Please see the following URL for details:

http://www.winzip.com/aes_info.htm
Brad S Konia
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

bkonia wrote:I totally agree with RDionysus. Standard WinZip encryption is a joke. However, WinZip now offers AES as an encryption option, so I don't undersrtand why you can't support AES.

Please see the following URL for details:

http://www.winzip.com/aes_info.htm
We will check this.