Web Clipping

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
gcoulthard

Post by gcoulthard »

Agreed. I also use myBase for it's awesome web-clipping, MyNotesKeeper for graphic-intensive notes (e.g., ability to insert floating graphics, aligned left or right within text), Smereka TreeProjects for writing notes re: PDF articles since it can search for text within attachments, and MyInfo for its great UI (usability), tree columns/attributes, and text style features.

Now if only I could get MyInfo to incorporate those key features from the other applications, I would be a very happy camper! <grin>

-- Glen
mirceglavni

Post by mirceglavni »

@ gcoulthard: I see you are also a CRIMPer :) I am using also MyNotesKeeper as my "workhorse", MyBase as a picture-album and pdf-depository and Scrapbook for Firefox for my web-clippings (don't know if you tried it out - it's the BEST web-capture utility, 99% of the pages you save with it are exactly the way they are online, and you can remove unwanted elements from the page before / after the capture.) Couldn't get friendly for TreeProjects yet.

What I want to do is to have only one app for all of these tasks, and I want to settle with MyInfo! And quit spending more time on migrating my databases from app to app and start using them.

Any word from Petko on the issue of web-capture problems?
gcoulthard

Post by gcoulthard »

Sounds like we have very similar workflows! There are many fine applications out there with unique strengths, but not many are as nicely packaged as MyInfo. The closest competitor in my mind is MyNotesKeeper; myBase and TreeProjects are not in the same category with respect to usability and feature-depth. However, what these two apps do have going for them is the ability to index attachments. Adding this feature to MyInfo would be amazing.

Regarding Web Clippings, I use myBase for text-driven articles related directly to a topic I am researching. However, like yourself, I use true Web clipping software for most of my data storage needs. Further to my CRIMPing :D ..., I have used WebResearch (from macropool) for the past 5 years and find it amazing. It is my workhorse for web capture and storage. I can also link to specific items in my WR database in other applications (e.g., PersonalBrain), which is very nice. But, time to bring this thread back to MyInfo, I suppose.

-- Glen
KChristoph

Post by KChristoph »

Greetings from Hannover, Germany.
Times ago I tried MyInfo.
I had a good feeling but I lost the way ...
At this time I use RightNote from South Africa !
It's difficult to find a tool for all things ...
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

mirceglavni wrote:Am I doing something wrong or is the web-clipping function unusable? If I select in Firefox "Send to MyInfo" (with or without Attachment), MyInfo makes a "beep", and the web-page is in the MyInfo browser. However, if disconnect from the internet, or delete the local copy (using also the Scrapbook Firefox plugin which stores the complete web-page on hard disk), MyInfo reports that it cannot display the page.
I have also tried to first select new note / Web Document, entered the url and clicked on "Save local copy" (or something like this) - same result.

What am I doing wrong?!
That should not happen. I need some more information about it. What is the URL in the address bar when you try to access this document with Internet connection turned off? Could you send me a sample, non working topic at support@milenix.com?
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

mirceglavni wrote:@ gcoulthard: I see you are also a CRIMPer :) I am using also MyNotesKeeper as my "workhorse", MyBase as a picture-album and pdf-depository and Scrapbook for Firefox for my web-clippings (don't know if you tried it out - it's the BEST web-capture utility, 99% of the pages you save with it are exactly the way they are online, and you can remove unwanted elements from the page before / after the capture.) Couldn't get friendly for TreeProjects yet.

What I want to do is to have only one app for all of these tasks, and I want to settle with MyInfo! And quit spending more time on migrating my databases from app to app and start using them.

Any word from Petko on the issue of web-capture problems?
"What I want to do is to have only one app for all of these tasks" I cannot possibly agree more. I don't want my data scattered all over the place. That's why I"m using a note-taker app instead of Libreoffice files sorted into folders. Considering that the Firefox "Scrapbook" plugin is brilliant and widely recognized as such, it seems bizarre to me that note-apps are not flocking to cooperate with the developer of Scrapbook, an open-source app. Bizarre indeed.

I hope to see some significant improvements in MyInfo's clipper tool. So far, nothing is better than Scrapbook. And I think Ultra Recall is also amazing. MyBase is pretty good (but the prog is so crippled by lack of common features).

Here's a toast to Petko in the hopes of seeing some new features ! :)
Last edited by Coolrat on Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
J-Mac

Post by J-Mac »

Similar web capture problem as mentioned above by user mirceglavni on January 31, 2012:

After capturing a web page it remains "live" in MyInfo. The page tries to refresh itself every few minutes and very soon shows that it cannot reload the page.

I would like to capture web pages and then store them statically in MyInfo - basically a snapshot of the page at the moment I clipped it, with no further refreshes or changes.

I can't seem to find a way to do this. Any help?

Thank you.

Jim
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Jim, do you use MyInfo 6.09?
J-Mac

Post by J-Mac »

Petko wrote:Jim, do you use MyInfo 6.09?
Yes, Petko, version 6.09 build 1243. (In another thread I mentioned that I can't find build 1244 and you asked me to send you a message from my purchase email, which I just did. So shortly I will have 6.09, build 1244 installed).

Thanks!

Jim
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Just to let you know that Send to MyInfo (Attachments) didn't work as expected with pages in subdirectories on the server, but this problem is fixed in the new update (MyInfo 6.10), which will be available in a couple of days.
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

Very good to hear that this problem will be fixed. The web-clipper is now quite good, and with such ongoing updates, will likely soon rival the best web-clippers out there! Looking forward to that!