Confirmation when close document

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
hotel

Confirmation when close document

Post by hotel »

I find that I am pressing the wrong close button and closing a document when I mean to close the entire Window (minimize).

Is there a setting available so that the software asks for confirmation that a document should be closed?
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Sorry, I am not sure what you mean. Do you want to close a document window or MyInfo application window?
hotel

Post by hotel »

I want to minimize MyInfo application window, so I click Close. But by mistake, I find that I often click the wrong close button. That closes a document instead of minimizing the MyInfo application window.

I would like an option to say:

Confirm you wish to close document: Petko information.

Thanks!
jamal

Post by jamal »

I don't have an issue here (clicking on the wrong icon), but I am chiming in because the solution is not adding more code, another pop-up and additional clicking. We have warnings before closing unsaved documents/topics, which are necessary and normal, but warnings before all closings are unwarranted and can be annoying.

A better solution is to move the set of three small black icons (for inside panes) down and away from the similar set of main window icons, so there is a clear separation between them. It is better to place the inside panes' icons on top right hand corner of the Editor Pane Frame where they rightfully belong - or slightly above it if you will, so they are in line with the tabs.
hotel

Post by hotel »

jamal wrote:another pop-up and additional clicking.
Actually my suggestion is to have this as an option. In other words, if you don't want it, it will behave as before.

This would be for people who have the same issue as me i.e. clicking the wrong button (because they are so close).

I would like to go to an options screen, turn on an Option: Confirm close of each topic?

Then it won't close my topics unexpectedly!
jamal

Post by jamal »

hotel wrote: i.e. clicking the wrong button (because they are so close).
There lies the root cause of the problem - the icons are placed so close together. To make the matter worse, both sets of icons look similar and perform similar function but on different windows. It is easy to click on the wrong thing and close the wrong window, and I don't blame you for that.

Adding a warning message for every close, whether by option or not, fixes the symptom and does not fix the problem. It will also add to the bloat by adding an unnecessary and uncommon feature.

The problem will be solved by relocating the set of icons that operate on the inside window to the inside window frame.
hotel

Post by hotel »

jamal wrote:
hotel wrote: i.e. clicking the wrong button (because they are so close).
The problem will be solved by relocating the set of icons that operate on the inside window to the inside window frame.
Yes that would work nicely.

I almost never want to close an open topic.

Alternative: The second Close could be removed.
(To close it, one can right click the topic and choose Close).
hotel

Post by hotel »

Hello

I don't see any change in 6.03.
Does that mean that you don't like my suggestion?
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Unfortunately, this behaviour is out of our control currently. We depend on third-party library for these buttons, so they are not easy to change.

We are thinking about moving them to the tabs like in web browsers, but we haven't finally decided yet.
hotel

Post by hotel »

Petko wrote:We are thinking about moving them to the tabs like in web browsers.

That would work well and resolve the issue.

Thanks.