[fixed] Search function not working

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
laowai1965

[fixed] Search function not working

Post by laowai1965 »

Yesterday I installed the new updated version (6.10) of MyInfo Pro Portable, but now the search function doesn't seem to be working properly.

Specifically, when I type or paste into the search box a word that I know is in the document I am currently editing, the program reports "No documents were found for these search terms." I tried changing the parameters of the search ("Search In This Topic, All Topics," etc) and I tried re-indexing the topic. No luck.

I did an experiment -- I created a new document with only the text "quick brown fox." Then I searched for the string "fox" and again received the message "No documents were found for these search terms." :shock:

The search function seems to be able to find results in older documents, but nothing recently edited or created.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something obvious here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

You are right. This is actually a bug. We have fixed it and uploaded the new files. Just download again and reinstall MyInfo 6.10. It will start indexing document text correctly again.
laowai1965

Post by laowai1965 »

Thanks for the quick response!

The search function seems to be working now -- though it didn't work until I re-indexed the topic (TOOLS -> RE-INDEX TOPIC) after installing the new version.
laowai1965

Post by laowai1965 »

Petko,

There's still something wrong here. The search function works (after I re-index the topic), but now the program won't let me save the re-indexed topic. Every time I try to save, I get an "Abnormal Program Termination" message and the program shuts down. When I re-open, I'm back to the previous (non-re-indexed) version of the topic!

Matt
wsp

Post by wsp »

I'm having a different problem. I've downloaded the very latest version today, and my searches are still not picking up many words.
Bill
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

laowai1965 wrote:There's still something wrong here. The search function works (after I re-index the topic), but now the program won't let me save the re-indexed topic. Every time I try to save, I get an "Abnormal Program Termination" message and the program shuts down. When I re-open, I'm back to the previous (non-re-indexed) version of the topic!

Matt
Please download again. This is fixed in build 1335, I am sorry about it!
wsp wrote:I'm having a different problem. I've downloaded the very latest version today, and my searches are still not picking up many words.
Do you have build 1335 and did you reindex the topics in question?
laowai1965

Post by laowai1965 »

P.S. I have re-installed MyInfo 6.09 so that I can continue working and saving my topics. However, I have now discovered what seem to be several search function bugs in that version as well!

I use MyInfo for research on Chinese history, so my documents contain a lot of words with like "Ying-t'ien" and "Chi-ch'ing" (both are former names of Nanjing, China, btw).

The search function does not seem to handle strings like "Ying-t'ien" and "Chi-ch'ing" very well. I did an experiment by opening a document and typing the text "Ying-t'ien" at the bottom of the document. When I then entered "Ying-t'ien" in the search field, the document did show up in the search results, but --

1) The characters "Ying-t'ien" were not highlighted in yellow (as are other searched terms)

2) The document did not automatically scroll to the searched term (as it does with other searches) -- it just opened at the top the document.

3) Some documents that contain the string "Ying-t'ien" DID NOT show up in the search results. Experimentation suggests that if if documents contain ANY CHINESE CHARACTERS, they will be invisible to the search. You can test this bug in the following way:

a) paste the following text into any document:

On 10 April 1356, after repeated engagements, Chu Yüan-chang at last overcame Nanking and immediately made it his new capital, quickly renamed Ying-t'ien (In Response to Heaven 应天).

b) Search for "Ying-t'ien." The document will not show up in the search results.

c) Then delete the Chinese characters "应天" and search again for "Ying-t'ien." Now the document will show up!
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Is this problem new for MyInfo 6.10 or it was in the previous versions too?
wsp

Post by wsp »

Petko, the answer is yes to both questions. I do have build 1335, and I did reindex the topic on which I was experimenting. There are quite a few occurrences of particular word ("Coleridge") in that topic, and search finds only one of them.
Bill
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

wsp wrote:Petko, the answer is yes to both questions. I do have build 1335, and I did reindex the topic on which I was experimenting. There are quite a few occurrences of particular word ("Coleridge") in that topic, and search finds only one of them.
Could you send (a part) of the topic at support@milenix.com so I could test it. One or two documents containing that word, but not found in the search, would be enough?
wsp

Post by wsp »

Sample just sent to you.
Bill
laowai1965

Post by laowai1965 »

I just sent a sample as well.

Matt
wsp

Post by wsp »

Petko, thanks for your help. I'm putting my response here, because I'm afraid it takes the form of an apology. After some further experiments, I discovered that I had just made an embarrassingly stupid mistake: I found that I had accidentally chosen "Search in this branch" instead of ". . . this topic."

Very sorry to raise a fuss about nothing.
Bill
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Bill, I am glad the problem is resolved!