move content from one installation to another

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
dianec

move content from one installation to another

Post by dianec »

I want to move the content from one MyInfo installation to a different installation. Can anyone tell me how or point me to where this is explained?
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

If you want to move only the topic files, you have to move the content of "My Documents\My Topics" folder to the new location.

If you want to move the options and toolbar/menu customizations, you have to export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Milenix\MyInfo\6" content from Registry and import it on the new machine.

If you want to move plugins, dictionaries, custom keyboard shortcuts and custom state images, you also need to move "C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Milenix\MyInfo\4" folder to the new location.
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

Is there no way to avoid having the program save all those settings to the "user" folder in C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Milenix\MyInfo\4 and just have it saved together with the document database?
It would seem that this would be an easier solution for many users when moving databases from one computer to another.

However, my opinion is not very well-informed.... I have no idea why so many programs use the "user" folder- there must be some good reason for it.
ozstar

Post by ozstar »

In most program installations where data is sent to the Doc and Settings etc directories, I change them to either save in a Program Files/ProgramName/Data Files directory. This way I know where all my data is and can easily set up my SyncBackPro Program to save them to other external drives every night.

In the is regard I have done the same to MyInfo.

Program Files
Program Files\MyInfo
Program Files\MyInfo\Data Files
Program Files\MyInfo\Data Files\Backup
Program Files\MyInfo\Data Files\Documents
Program Files\MyInfo\Data Files\Topics

I have not tested this yet buy maybe these are the only files one needs is using another instance of MyInfo on say, a laptop.

Not use how the data can be used on Dropbox so that it can be synced all the time on other computers.

Maybe someone can talk about this.

Anyway that's my set up.

oz
wsp

Post by wsp »

I keep all of my MyInfo files in a Dropbox directory on both my desktop and laptop computers, and they sync constantly without any intervention on my part. The only file that I have to copy manually from time to time is the custom dictionary, which is of course in a different directory.
Bill
ozstar

Post by ozstar »

Hi,

Yes just before bed last night I also installed MyInfo on my laptop and created a MyInfo directory in the Dropbox folder on both computers.

Fired up MyInfo on the laptop opened the backup MyInfo file I had in the drop box and whammo..there it was.

What a pleasant surprise!

I was using the backup because at the moment I save to the folders I mention in the above post and backup every night with SyncBackPro to the Dropbox folder.

ADDED LATER:
I decided to do as you do and save direct to Dropbox so that files update immediately rather than wait until my backup was done.

Seems to work just fine as you says it does.

Thanks for the reply.. good news..

oz
wsp

Post by wsp »

For several years I kept my MyInfo files in their original directory and then backed up, usually once a day, to the Dropbox directory. About six months ago I finally capitulated and shifted all the files into a subdirectory in Dropbox, and it's worked very smoothly ever since. Now I never have to think about backing up.

Glad to hear it's working for you as well.
Bill
ozstar

Post by ozstar »

Thanks Bill,

Yes really happy that the Dropbox save works.

oz