New user on same PC

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
hotel

New user on same PC

Post by hotel »

I am doing some testing on my PC, which involves me adding new users to Windows. I am the only user, I just log in to Windows as different users (eg Admin, User 1, etc).

I want to write notes in MyInfo as I do these tests. But each time I create a new Windows user, I have to tell MyInfo where the topics etc are stored (I keep mine in C:\MyInfo).

Is there a way to export all settings and then import them as I create each Windows user? Or is there a way to tell MyInfo that all Windows users should share the same MyInfo files?

Also I notice that MyInfo does not have a dictionary for spell checking for the added users. Do I need to re-install it for each user?
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Depending on which versions of MyInfo you have, there are two ways to solve this problem:

1. If you have MyInfo Professional license, then you can simply use MyInfo Portable, which will keep its settings in all user's profiles.

2. If you don't want/can't use MyInfo Portable, you can export and import MyInfo Registry settings, using RegEdit:
* Start RegEdit (Start > Run < regedit).
* Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Milenix\MyInfo\6
* Click File > Export (make sure Selected Branch is the selected export type) and click Save.
* Now you can import MyInfo settings by running the .reg file that is produced.

The spell checking directory should be created when you first run MyInfo with the new user. Is this not the case?
hotel

Post by hotel »

I would like to avoid a registry change if I can.

I do have MyInfo Professional, but have never used the Portable version.
As I already have the non-portable version installed, should I now install the Portable version as well?

With a new Windows user, it underlines every word in red. When I right-click, it does not present any words. So I guess there is no dictionary.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

In this case (you don't want to mess with other users registry settings), I recommend you to use MyInfo Portable instead. You can uninstall the desktop version and install the portable. Then you have to specify the location of your topics only the first time you run it.
hotel

Post by hotel »

Thanks for the info.