[improved in 6.20b1823] The new feature "Go to document"

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
Tester

[improved in 6.20b1823] The new feature "Go to document"

Post by Tester »

I just installed version 6.20 (build 1817) and in the first moment I was very happy when I saw the new search feature "Go to document" (Tools ---> Go to document // or: Ctrl + G). It offers the comfort to search much easier for a document by its title than this was possible in the previous version of MyInfo.

Nevertheless after trying it, I am a quite disappointed because there is a heavy delay, or better there are two delays:
- One delay when typing the letters of a document title in the search field (beginning with the second letter I type): it takes about 3-4 seconds until the letter appears in the search field.
- And a second (additional) delay - again about 3-4 seconds - until the list with the search results finally appears.

That means that it takes almost 10 seconds until I can see my search results! And this applies only when typing not more than 2 or 3 letters in the search field. By trying to type more letters the delay is even much longer.

And the same problem exists when I remove letters in the search field: again there are the same delays.

I do not know if this has to do with the number of the documents within the topic (file). At the moment I have about 1700 documents (and I plan to add a lot more). But whatever the amount of documents is - this delay is unacceptable. At the moment I can find much more quickly a document by scrolling the list in the tree than by using the option "Go to document".

Petko, please try to fix this problem because the - in principle attractive - new search function is of no use as it works now. Thank you.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

It should be much faster in the new build.
Tester

Post by Tester »

It works excellent now! No more delay at all.

Thanks a lot. :D
wsp

Post by wsp »

Petko, I'm already finding uses for the "Go to document" command -- but just one small suggestion:

Wouldn't it be possible to keep the list of found documents on the screen after clicking on one of them? Now, since the list disappears as soon as I click on a single document, I have to run the search again every time I want to see another document on that same list.
Bill
Tester

Post by Tester »

wsp wrote:but just one small suggestion:
Wouldn't it be possible to keep the list of found documents on the screen after clicking on one of them?
Bill, I understand your wish but I have to say that for me the by far better solution is exactly the other way around, that means, the way it is arranged now. :P

Our different positions in this matter are an excellent example of sometimes completely opposite user needs when using a software respectively certain features:

My main usage of MyInfo will be the creation of a dictionary and some other databases with lists, e.g. my DVDs, my books etc.

So let's assume that I search a certain keyword in the dictionary (each keyword corresponds with a document in MyInfo). When I have found the desired keyword (by using "Go to document") it is extremely comfortable that the search window closes automatically after having double clicked on the document title (or after having clicked "Go"). Because (usually) all I want in case of using any reference book (dictionary, encyclopedia, adress book, ...) is that I "arrive" as quickly as possible at the entry which belongs to the keyword I am looking for. It would be cumbersome if every time (making a search) I had to perform an additional click to close the search window manually.

As I wrote above: I fully understand and respect your intention. For users who have to go systematically to a number of documents within a list, the non-disappearing of the list/window would be the better solution.

I just wanted to point out the opposite view. Perhaps some time Petko will implement an option so that both groups of users can choose their favourite alternative. :wink: