Upgrade to version 7?

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
yfeng
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:41 am

Upgrade to version 7?

Post by yfeng » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:28 pm

Hi,

I noticed that whoever purchased MyInfo 6 today at bitsdujour will get free upgrade to version 7. Is there any upgrade cost for current version 6 customers?

Thanks!

YF

Petko
MyInfo Support
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by Petko » Tue May 05, 2015 2:38 pm

Yes, there will be an upgrade cost for MyInfo 7, but will be just a fraction of the retail price (and won't apply for people who purchased MyInfo 6 after April 29 2015).

yfeng
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:41 am

Post by yfeng » Wed May 06, 2015 8:57 pm

Petko, thanks for reply! Is there any roadmap (feature list) for version 7? I am very interested in cross-platform support, is there an Android version available? Thanks!

Petko
MyInfo Support
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by Petko » Thu May 07, 2015 6:56 pm

MyInfo 7 is a work in progress and there is no public roadmap at the moment, however these are the confirmed new features so far:

* Cross-platform file format, which will allow the creation of MyInfo versions for other desktop and mobile platforms
* Instantaneous save and load of MyInfo files: the new version will use database-based instead of file-based information storage
* Searching in document attachments (for selected files types like text, PDF, etc)
* Multiple attachments per document
* Split, merge/join documents
* Zoom in text editor
* Updated user interface
* Many exciting new features to be announced later

mfelix
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:54 pm
Location: Basel, Switzerland

Post by mfelix » Thu May 07, 2015 7:25 pm

Hi Petko,

great to hear that development on MyInfo is going on.
Please keep on going strong, I use it nearly every day !

Felix

Daly de Gagne
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:15 pm

Post by Daly de Gagne » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:20 pm

Petko, will we be able to write and edit in multiple windows in version 7? If I recall correctly, when you introduced the multiple windows feature, you had said that in the next version writing & editing in multiple windows would be added.

Thanks.

Daly

Daly de Gagne
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:15 pm

Post by Daly de Gagne » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:45 pm

Petko, have you seen this post? Thanks

Daly


Daly de Gagne wrote:Petko, will we be able to write and edit in multiple windows in version 7? If I recall correctly, when you introduced the multiple windows feature, you had said that in the next version writing & editing in multiple windows would be added.

Thanks.

Daly

Petko
MyInfo Support
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by Petko » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:27 pm

MyInfo 7 will offer multiple windows support, so it will be possible to have many different views on both your topics and documents. It will be easy to switch between document only mode and full tree mode, just like in Microsoft OneNote. So, this will replace the current stand-alone windows, offering more powerful functionality.

yfeng
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:41 am

Post by yfeng » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi Petko,

Would the version 7 available to try sometime this year?

Thanks,
YF

wsp
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:54 am
Location: Washington, DC

Post by wsp » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:55 pm

Would the version 7 available to try sometime this year?
Good question.

Petko, may I use this as an excuse to offer you a couple of items on my wish-list for version 7?

(1) I'm not absolutely persuaded that I need to be able to edit MyInfo notes on my iPhone or iPad, but I certainly would like to consult them occasionally on my phone. I have tried various experiments with PDF files, creating them with someone else's PDF printer driver, and I've always encountered two problems: it takes a very long time to produce a PDF from a large topic, and I lose embedded links in the PDF. Is it possible for you to offer a PDF printer driver as part of the MyInfo package that would remedy these difficulties?

(2) I would like to use MyInfo for writing drafts for a couple of blogs, but there is no easy way of getting images from MyInfo into a Wordpress post. With Evernote I can drag and drop. Couldn't it be comparable in MyInfo?
Bill

Petko
MyInfo Support
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by Petko » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:17 pm

yfeng wrote:Would the version 7 available to try sometime this year?
MyInfo 7 is currently in internal alpha testing (and few people outside Milenix have access to it). The beta testing should start in month or two and it will be available to all MyInfo customers, who want to try it out. It will not include the full feature set of the final version, but this will change in the months following the first beta release.
wsp wrote:(1) I'm not absolutely persuaded that I need to be able to edit MyInfo notes on my iPhone or iPad, but I certainly would like to consult them occasionally on my phone. I have tried various experiments with PDF files, creating them with someone else's PDF printer driver, and I've always encountered two problems: it takes a very long time to produce a PDF from a large topic, and I lose embedded links in the PDF. Is it possible for you to offer a PDF printer driver as part of the MyInfo package that would remedy these difficulties?
(2) I would like to use MyInfo for writing drafts for a couple of blogs, but there is no easy way of getting images from MyInfo into a Wordpress post. With Evernote I can drag and drop. Couldn't it be comparable in MyInfo?
I can't tell anything specific about both of them at this time, but thank you for your suggestions!

wsp
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:54 am
Location: Washington, DC

Post by wsp » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:09 am

Thanks, Petko. That's encouraging news about your progress on version 7.
Bill

Coolrat
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:52 am

Post by Coolrat » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:14 pm

This is indeed very good news. I've been waiting for v7 for quite some time. A cross platform version will be popular I'm sure. I'll do what I can to introduce it to a wider audience and write a review on my blog about software useful to social science researchers at http://www.ambrosi.ca/gear-equipment-review/

pjmiller
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:16 am

Post by pjmiller » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Petko wrote:MyInfo 7 is a work in progress and there is no public roadmap at the moment, however these are the confirmed new features so far:

* Instantaneous save and load of MyInfo files: the new version will use database-based instead of file-based information storage
Might this mean that true clones (i.e. multiple instances of the same document) are easier to implement?

Currently the clones are not true clones because the child items are not synchronised. If you add or delete a child item for one clone it does not automatically update the other clones, they have to be updated manually. :shock:

If a clone were a true clone then any changes to any of them would happen to all of them because they would just be different instances of the same document and would therefore have the same linkages (this does not mean that the child items would be clones just the item they were linked to).

Please Petko, if this is possible it would be a major improvement as far as I am concerned.

Petko
MyInfo Support
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by Petko » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:17 am

It is in our todo list, but at this time I can't say if it will make it in MyInfo 7, because there are other things with higher priority and demand.

Post Reply