Run multiple copies of MyInfo at the same time?

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
dragongem

Run multiple copies of MyInfo at the same time?

Post by dragongem »

I've tried running both the full install and the portable versions of MyInfo on the same computer but only one instance of the program is allowed to run. Is there any way to over-ride this?
I understand that attempting to update the same topic file in both instances would be courting disaster but I would be working with different copies.
My real issue is that I have at least 6 different workspaces (each with up to 20 Topics) and having to close down a workspace causes me to lose context as to what I'm attempting to accomplish. I have no problem setting up multiple portable installations for each workspace (with different color schemes) but still can only run a single instance at a time.
MyInfo is a great program but it could be truly extraordinary with some added multi-tasking capabilities.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

You are right - currently MyInfo does not support multiple instances. However, I clearly see how this affects your case (having multiple workspaces). It seems to me, that if MyInfo can open multiple main windows (like Firefox and the other web browsers do), this will solve the problem. Am I right?
dragongem

Post by dragongem »

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, multiple main windows would help especially if they could be separated onto different monitors (I run four monitors with 4 virtual desktops on each). Adding another layer of tabs like Firefox helps only if those tabs can be be positioned independently (like they can in Firefox).
As a software developer myself I know that preventing multiple instances of the software requires coding. What I was hoping for short-term was a "secret" parameter passed to the executable (i.e. -m) that could over-ride this check (probably just for portable instances which you obviously have to check for as well).

MyInfo is by far the best information gathering system I've run across (I also own and use UltraRecall, RightNote, Evernote Pro, Essential PIM, InfoSelect, Nimbus, Memonic, etc) so I'm willing to work around its limitations. Opening, sizing and positioning document windows is a bit of a pain but I automate most of that via FastKeys. What would be a nice addition is a Refresh button so that editing changes can be reflected back in the Document Viewer without having to close and re-open it.
Another great addition would allow Style formats to be applied directly to the Document Tree elements. The ability to cascade Style format changes throughout Documents is a real winning feature that no one else can touch and having that for the Document Tree would be awesome for easily color-coding different kinds of information. Hotkeys on the Styles formats would also be great (I use Fastkeys for that right now).

I'm keenly aware of the exponential increase in complexity when you allow users to do multiple independent (but still potentially inter-dependent) things at once. I'd love to have full edit capabilities on numerous open documents across multiple topic files but understand how that is currently impossible (or maybe just too dangerous). Seems like Version 7 with its database backup will open some new possibilities there.

Keep up the excellent work and thanks for your consideration of my issues.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

There is no short term solution, I am afraid, but I think that the multiple main windows feature will be good enough, when it is ready.

Thank you for all your other suggestions too!