Creating new files.

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
ozstar

Creating new files.

Post by ozstar »

Hi,

I am going crazy !!

We want to have only 1 file name to be saved , never ever any other files to be created or saved.

The girl who uses MyInfo for us keeps doing this..

Say the file we use with our data is named myfile1.

This is loaded at the opening of MyInfo and used and then saved either auto or using the save option.

Every now and then I go looking for some data and after doing a search i can't find it. I know it is there but can't find it. Then I look at the file name tab and see that the file name is not MyInfo1 it is blue skies or some other name.

So now it seems the data we use is now under this new name and all new data entered is now in this file NOT where it supposed to be in MyInfo1.

This means that every time this happens I have to go back and see what has been done since the real MyInfo21 was used and cutnpaste it there.

Pleas how can i stop other files being created so that MyInfo1 is the only database we use.

When I do a search I see the doc name in the right panel under the new incorrect db.

Can I cut and paste the doc or drag it to the correct db which is also there but without this doc ?

Thanks
Tester

Post by Tester »

ozstar wrote: We want to have only 1 file name to be saved , never ever any other files to be created or saved.
That's the same way I use MyInfo (1 file/topic). I never had the problem you describe.
ozstar wrote: So now it seems the data we use is now under this new name and all new data entered is now in this file NOT where it supposed to be in MyInfo1.
[...]
Please how can i stop other files being created so that MyInfo1 is the only database we use.
I cannot imagine that MyInfo creates a file/topic by itself or that it renames an existing file/topic by itself (without intervention of the user).

What do you see when you go in the menu of MyInfo to "File" ---> "Open" ---> arrow to the right?
Are there listed more topics (let's say both "myfile1" and "blue skies" [or whatever they are called on your computer])?

Which topics do you find in the folder with your topics (by default called "My Topics")?
I have there only
- a file called "Default.miw"
- and a mio file with the name of the topic I created by myself - in your example this should be "myfile1.mio".

If you can open the unwanted topic:
Do so and go in the menu of MyInfo to "File" ---> "Properties & Security"
There you will find some information about the topic, e.g. its location (maybe it is not in the folder "My Topics" mentioned above but somwhere else?), the date of its creation and its last modification.
ozstar

Post by ozstar »

Many thanks tester for your reply and the time to do it.

I am not sure how it happened either even after thinking about it some. The girl has no idea what she did and says she just did what she normally does, which is the right way.

All your suggestions above pointed to everything being correct too.

I have my files in Dropbox in case we need to access the file while we are away however this hasn't happened for a year so has nothing to do with the problem.

I choose a Dropbox/MyInfo6/ folder which I created. The mio and mib are in that folder not the sub folder Topics.

I wondered whether or not when one does an upgrade whether the 'save' option goes to the default folder because in my looking around, I noticed that the 'save' folder was now in the Documents area which is the default, I would not have set this up as I use Dropbox as I said.

Anyway to cut to the chase, I had the 3 tabs open so three dbs were there and opened the incorrect one she had been adding to and in the left tree panel, did a copy of every doc that had a recent date.

I then opened the correct db and in the left panel pasted in the tree.

I got all the files over okay but noticed this in the tree.

At the top of the tree I have a Primary entry (to the left edge), then under it, I guess looking like a sub dir, I have all the docs.

The new docs I pasted from the other db, look also like Primary entries (to the left edge).

This doesn't seem to be a problem as when i open the Filter panel they all show in alpha order correctly anyway. Maybe this is nothing to be concerned about and only mention because i noticed it.

Anyway all is okay now unless you notice something wrong.

Love the program and just hope that she doesn't do whatever she says she doesn't remember, again.

I think I will get her to always use the /File/Open from the top menu option then choose the correct file at the top of the list. This way she has to have the correct one.

At the moment she just works on whatever docs are there when she clicks on the Desktop icon.

Thanks for the help again,

oz

:D
Tester

Post by Tester »

:wink:
ozstar wrote: I think I will get her to always use the /File/Open from the top menu option then choose the correct file at the top of the list. This way she has to have the correct one.
Yes, and things are even more easy: as mentioned, when you restrict anyway your work to one file/topic (not creating others), anyway only this single file/topic should open in MyInfo and appear in the list. In case that the girl nevertheless discovers another (additional) topic (or another name for the created topic) she should immediately investigate what's the matter with it (as described by choosing File --> Properties & Security).
ozstar wrote: I choose a Dropbox/MyInfo6/ folder which I created. The mio and mib are in that folder not the sub folder Topics.

I wondered whether or not when one does an upgrade whether the 'save' option goes to the default folder because in my looking around, I noticed that the 'save' folder was now in the Documents area which is the default, I would not have set this up as I use Dropbox as I said.
Maybe that something has gone wrong with these procedures. If possible, try to restrict to the default names and paths of the folders and avoid changes in this respect. You have the possibility for modifications concerning the file location by going to Tools --> Options --> Save. But be careful with these modifications. I for myself never changed the default locations which are listed there.
ozstar wrote:and just hope that she doesn't do whatever she says she doesn't remember, again.
I assume that this could have been the reason for the troubles. :mrgreen: She simply should not create new files/topics and not change the names or locations of folders without informing you. :wink:

ozstar wrote: Thanks for the help again
You are welcome - and good luck. :wink: