Problems with web capture

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
DavidF

Problems with web capture

Post by DavidF »

hi

I'm trying out a trial copy of MyInfo and am having some problems with web capture. Using the MyInfo add-on in Firefox, sending a web page to MyInfo first becomes unresponsive then I have to kill the process. In Internet Explorer I have better luck, the page comes into MyInfo, but does not include any images.

Is there something else I should be doing or are these known issues?

Also, I guess I have some more general questions. What is the difference between the two types of capture? Using "Attachment" gives me an embedded MHT file, but nothing is displayed in MyInfo. Using the non-attachment one - if nothing is selected on the web page you get just a link to that page and a live display of it (MyInfo as browser). If there is a selection, you get the above-mentioned problem, images don't display. Also, even with just image on the web page, it takes a long time to complete the process - I'm not sure I'd like to use it on a page with several graphics.

What I want for the most part is selected parts of web pages saved locally in MyInfo. What is the best way of doing this?

DavidF.

Edited for typo: "non-issues" --> "known issues"!
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Sending pages with many images is slow, because MyInfo loads them sequentially (instead of loading multiple images simultaneously as modern web browsers do). This is something that we will try to improve in MyInfo 7.

You are right about the differences between both send modes: "Attachment" should send the selection as embedded document (or the whole page, if nothing is selected), the non-attachment mode tries to send the selection as text in the text editor, preserving formatting and images if it is possible (and if the browser supports it, for example Internet Explorer often does not copy the images).

It is strange that sending as attachment does not work as expected. Could you send me the link that does not work at support@milenix.com?
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

hi Petko,

what I found was that the combination of "Send to MyInfo" plus selected text on the web page, results in the selection going into the Text Editor, but with any graphics missing. This was the case with any web page I tried. I discovered though that what I was looking for was "Send to MyInfo (Attachment)" - then you get the selection added as an embedded item, graphics and all. So this is just me finding out really the basics of how MyInfo works.

I have to say the slowness of web clipping that I've seen, plus the limitations on cloning, probably rule MyInfo out for me. However I'll be keeping an eye on how version 7 is looking in these areas.

DavidF.