Customizing

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
writeaway

Customizing

Post by writeaway »

Before I complain, let me first say that I tried every available information manager I could find to use for my research notes and I chose MyInfo. It has some wonderful features and it handles web pages like none other. Ditto for graphics.

Now then, here is my wish list:

Icons, please. Preferably lots of them. Nobody does icons like Tree Pad which allows you to download and use all the icons one could ever want. I notice I'm not the only one asking for them. Some are even desperate enough to say they'll settle for different colors of the one icon allowed us. Me, I say that's not enough. Icons, please.

Font color and back color drop down lists should allow for all the colors of the rainbow as all the other infomation managers do. I find the glaring background colors offensive to my delicate sensibilities and font colors are way too limited. I find myself writing in another program and copy/pasting into MyInfo to avoid them. I know there is a way to access other font colors but it is so cumbersome, I don't use it.

The default font should be up to me. It is impossible to change. In fact for the $50.00 I paid, the whole app should be infinitely and easily customizable.

Any plans for improvements in any of these areas?
kf

Post by kf »

I would echo the customizability desire. Like writeaway said, MyInfo has som truly brilliant features and the effort is greatly appreciated. But, being able to customize the program would be a huge addition. I know petko has already mentioned some additions to the customization department (tree pane especially), so we'll have to wait and see.

This is just an offhand comment, but maybe it would be beneficial to make the next increment (however you version things!) of MyInfo be more of a polishing version. Not in the overall program sense, I think MyInfo already has a high degree of refinement, but by looking at the minor features of other PIM software. Things like font/background colors, treepane customizing, etc. In general, looking for ways to make MyInfo similar to some of the other products so that the huge improvements stand out more (eg, you wont have someone say they like the custom columns feature but wont buy the product because they cant put up with not being able to have a different treepane background for every topic).

Along those lines, I would also echo writeaways comment in the other forum about a list of things currently being planned. Obviously, one reason to avoid this is to keep ahead of the competition, but a progress list of bugfixes and minor improvements (and maybe hints to major, groundbreaking features!), would be awesome. This could draw user discussion and add more ideas/brainstorming. Ultimately the creator/s of MyInfo have the final say, but finding out what your userbase desires is always a good idea (the recent survey was a good step in this direction!).

Kevin
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

I agree that some MyInfo feature deserve an improvement (color selection buttons for example) and our goal with MyInfo 4 will be to polish these details. In the same time, there are some new features that are a must for the next version (spell checking for example) and they are in our plans too.

We will think of ways for letting you know what will be in the next version, or at least for informing you about the already implemented features.
dspady

Post by dspady »

Another thing to add is a better search capacity. MyInfo is very good for searching for 1 word, but searching for a phrase would be very useful. Other programs like MyInfo have this feature (e.g. Treepad) and it is very useful when trying to narrow a search down to something manageable.
Nature has no reset button!