First Impressions/V 4 Request

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
Daly de Gagne

First Impressions/V 4 Request

Post by Daly de Gagne »

I have been using MI for several weeks now, attracted initially because of the column feature, but also appreciating the cloning capability and the tags, as well as the tabs.

If there is one criticism of something that I find particularly bothersome, it is when I click on a web document, and the web resource tab at the top of the topic window is not automatically selected. That means a second step to click on it.

If I am at one web page selected from the tree, and then select another one from the tree, the note tab is selected and, again, I have to select the web resource tab.

I think these tabs need to be sensitive to whether a note or web page is selected from the tree.

As for specific v 4 requests:
* Checkbox option for items in the tree
* A hoist/dehoist toggle so that a specific section o the tree can be solated
* Ability to use different icons in the tree
* Ability to number items in the tree -- with the option of numbering all items, or just those in a specific section of the tree
* Ability to have a second window open, rom the same or another topic, to ease referencing when writing a document
* A ruler in the note window
* Option to wrap document names in the tree so that they go to two or more lines depending on the width of the tree pane
* More than one set of columns for a topic -- ie. if I have book information in one part of the topic and financial data in another part of the topic, it would be good to have a set of columns with book-related metadata, and another set with financial metadata

All-in-all, I think MI is a fine program, and I look forward to v 4.

Thank you.

Daly
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Daly de Gagne wrote: If there is one criticism of something that I find particularly bothersome, it is when I click on a web document, and the web resource tab at the top of the topic window is not automatically selected. That means a second step to click on it.

If I am at one web page selected from the tree, and then select another one from the tree, the note tab is selected and, again, I have to select the web resource tab.

I think these tabs need to be sensitive to whether a note or web page is selected from the tree.
In the initial versions of MyInfo, web pages were open automatically when you click on a web document. We had users complaining that this automatically brings up the Internet Connection Dialog (some people are still using dial-up!), so we made it as an option.
You can find this option in Tools > Options > Compatibility > Automatically show web resource, if...

I think that we will return the old behavior in version 4 (MyInfo shows automatically the web resource if there is no text in the Notes pane).
Daly de Gagne wrote:* Checkbox option for items in the tree
You can have checkboxes by using the State Icons.
JanRif

Post by JanRif »

Petko wrote:In the initial versions of MyInfo, web pages were open automatically when you click on a web document. We had users complaining that this automatically brings up the Internet Connection Dialog (some people are still using dial-up!), so we made it as an option.
You can find this option in Tools > Options > Compatibility > Automatically show web resource, if...

I think that we will return the old behavior in version 4 (MyInfo shows automatically the web resource if there is no text in the Notes pane).
Petko, I don't think that is necessary as long as this option is available because there may be times when user wants to refer to notes before switching over to browser & this gives them the ability to do so. But I'm not sure the option is currently working. I would have to check on that later.
Jan Rifkinson
Ridgefield, CT USA
Daly de Gagne

Post by Daly de Gagne »

Petko, thank you for your reply.

I am not clear on to use State Icons to get check boxes, and have not found anything in the Help file that explains it. It may be there, but I am missing it.

Thank you.

Daly

Daly de Gagne wrote:* Checkbox option for items in the tree
You can have checkboxes by using the State Icons.[/quote]
JanRif

Post by JanRif »

Daly de Gagne wrote:Petko, thank you for your reply.

I am not clear on to use State Icons to get check boxes,
Daly, assuming the option is set, click on the little dot to the left of the item in the outline. It should bring up a to-do type menu. First one on the list is a blank box to show that it is a ToDo item. HTH

--
Jan Rifkinson
Ridgefield, CT USA
Jan Rifkinson
Ridgefield, CT USA
kf

Post by kf »

Janriff you beat me to it!! Here's just a little more that I was going to say:

While this does satisfy the requirement (and integrates well with other MyInfo features), it is sort of a pain if you are trying to set up a long todo list since you have to manually choose each one to be a blank box. Then, when you want to check it, you have to work through menus to do it (it isnt as fast as just clicking a checkbox).

But, it does work to show a checkbox state. Also, there is an option to show all checked documents with crossed out text as well.

Kevin
Daly de Gagne

Post by Daly de Gagne »

JanRif wrote:

Daly, assuming the option is set, click on the little dot to the left of the item in the outline. It should bring up a to-do type menu. First one on the list is a blank box to show that it is a ToDo item. HTH

--
Jan Rifkinson
Ridgefield, CT USA
Thanks, Jan. I didn't see that in the help file -- but it is a really nifty feature that increases the usefulness of the program.

Many thanks.

Daly
Daly de Gagne

Post by Daly de Gagne »

Now that I am acquainted with icons, is there a way to sort using the icons?

What I mean is this: Suppose that in a number of my tree items I have to-do icons. Is there a way that I can sort so that all my to-do's come together, or all of my idea items, etc.?

If there is, that would be a fantastic way to pull stuff together on the fly for a quick overview.

Many thanks.

Daly

PS The more I get to know and use MyInfo the more I am liking it!

Daly de Gagne wrote:
JanRif wrote:

--
Jan Rifkinson
Ridgefield, CT USA
Thanks, Jan. I didn't see that in the help file -- but it is a really nifty feature that increases the usefulness of the program.

Many thanks.

Daly
kf

Post by kf »

daley, see this thread: http://www.milenix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=78

i don't think you can sort by state images yet... but, might be worth requesting for v4. A more powerful sort would be an aswesome addition to MyInfo! (multiple column sort, natural sort, etc)

Kevin
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

In fact, you can sort by State Images, I have explained how to do it here:
http://www.milenix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2566#2566
Daly de Gagne

Post by Daly de Gagne »

Petko wrote:In fact, you can sort by State Images, I have explained how to do it here:
http://www.milenix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2566#2566
Petko, right you are -- sorry about that.

I just replied to the other message of yours -- I said there that what I am thinking of is more of a temporary filtering process, or a predefined search, the search being defined by each specific icon. Thus making it possible to pull together all appointments, or all contacts, or all ideas.

Thanks.

Daly