Full Support needed for Columns and for Filtering

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
weby22

Full Support needed for Columns and for Filtering

Post by weby22 »

My interest in MyInfo is for its special feature of column support.

With much respect for the excellent work elsewhere, both the column and filtering features are not practical enough for serious use. To be a must-have product, the columns (and filtering) must provide a fully usable database, both on-screen and in reporting/exporting:

(1) Columns and Filtering: All column data must be preserved and fully workable when a filter is applied.

(2) Columns and Print, Export: Column data must be included in printing and exporting, as seen on-screen, and including filtering. The "document" area should print on the row below and have the option to be excluded or truncated.

(3) Filtering and Parents: Filtering must include (or offer to include) the minimal parent tree so that filtered items can be seen in their outline context.

(4) Filtering Usability: When filtering, nothing should change (except the missing rows). And, saved filters must be a menu dropdown for quick filtering and un-filtering.
reesd

Post by reesd »

[quote="weby22"]My interest in MyInfo is for its special feature of column support.

With much respect for the excellent work elsewhere, both the column and filtering features are not practical enough for serious use. To be a must-have product, the columns (and filtering) must provide a fully usable database, both on-screen and in reporting/exporting:
...snip...

(3) Filtering and Parents: Filtering must include (or offer to include) the minimal parent tree so that filtered items can be seen in their outline context.

(4) Filtering Usability: When filtering, nothing should change (except the missing rows). And, saved filters must be a menu dropdown for quick filtering and un-filtering.[/quote]

I am looking for the same thing #3/#4, but I think of it differently - that you should support filter results being a tree or a list.

Bonsai does this by having a "display results as flat list" option. When selected the results are something like the MyInfo's filter results. When the option is not selected the results are seen as a tree which can be very, very useful and I think what he is asking for in #3. I know I can't use an outliner without it which is why I am using Bonsai and why my next computer may be a Mac so I can get Omni or Tao.

Once a filter can return a tree or list you can simplify the user interface because you no longer need a separate tree tab and a filter (list) tab. Instead the user just changes filters with some filters being lists and some being trees. I am guessing this is what he is asking for in #4.

d
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

I understand what you mean under "true" filtering. We have future plans to incorporate such feature, but as it is very demanding from a developer's point of view, it will be not available in MyInfo 4.