Global search improvement

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
Cameron

Global search improvement

Post by Cameron »

Great product. One of the few complaints I have is that clicking on a global search result does not center the first occurrence of a yellow highlighted item into view!

Therefore, if the document is longer than the current window, the user has to either scroll down and visually search for the occurrence or do a 2nd Ctrl-F search.

If you want to browse global search results, it's important to see found words in context in order to know if it's what you're looking for.

I strongly recommend fast-tracking this change since it should not be difficult to implement.

Also, several organizers I've been comparing allow AND type searches. In other words, find documents with word1 AND word2. How difficult would it be to allow AND-type global searches? (centering the result windows around the first occurrence of the first term).

Thanks. Seth
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Sorry, I see now that the global search is an AND search on multiple terms.

However, I would like to add that the Ctrl-F search should feature wrap-around. It's rather inconvenient to have to place the cursor at the top of a document before searching.

Thanks again, Seth
Richard

Post by Richard »

I also think that the search function needs improving. The wrap around function badly required, especially for large documents. In addition when global searching I cannot get multiple wod strings to work, even by using the AND operator likwise + . The search falls down badly on a system that is otherwise excellent. Search is essential and really needs to be accurate as possible.

I also think when global search results are shown in the sidebar, we should see highlighted snippets of the first term(s), not the first lines, as its the string in context that matters.