Search only within filtered items

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant

Would you like to easily search within Filtered items?

No, I don't have need for that.
20%
Yes, that would be useful.
80%

Total votes: 5
Clay Nichols

Search only within filtered items

Post by Clay Nichols »

I use MyInfo for my task lists. I have a special State for projects and I can filter on that state, but then I would also like to be able to search within my list of projects.

I can create a new filter everytime I do this (or modify the existing filter) but that's a lot of overhead.

It would be ideal if there were a search box between the Filter Name and the Documents found, with Search results for [ ].

Another solution (less ideal but perhaps easier to implement) would be if one of the options for the search was "Search In Current Filter"
Clay D. Nichols
wsp

Post by wsp »

I agree, but better yet -- as I've suggested in another thread

http://www.milenix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2735

-- it ought to be possible to integrate fully the tags and word searches.
Bill
Clay Nichols

Post by Clay Nichols »

wsp. I didn't immediately spot your suggestion in that forum (i.e., it was buried in the responses of the forum)

You may want to post it as a separate suggestion (or even in this post) just so other forum readers can see it as well.

Just a thought.
Clay D. Nichols
wsp

Post by wsp »

Clay, good suggestion. Here are my two messages from last month:
It's wonderful that the power of the search box has now been extended (though I gather that the Boolean "or" is still not possible?), but to make the search even more powerful, it really ought to be coordinated with the tags. I would like to be able to do something like the following in the search box:

tag:collecting "rare books"

The MI tags are already extremely useful, but they cannot be connected with searches, except through filters, which are too time-consuming to create for one-time searches. I would like to see at least some of the capabilities of the filters moved into the search box.
Another way of achieving this (searching for tags and words/phrases simultaneously) is to put the tags in a column in the tree, as Evernote does. (That also simplifies the application of tags tremendously: you simply drag a tag into a note--or document, to use MyInfo-speak.) Then you could select one or more tags in the tag column, and narrow the search further by typing a word or phrase in the search box.

Evernote is an excellent program, with especially speedy and effortless searches, but it doesn't organize information nearly as well as MyInfo does. If MI had both its present tree hierarchy and -- in an adjoining column -- a list of tags that could be applied or selected as in Evernote, it would become a spectacularly powerful program, and it would bring to an end the endless debates about the relative superiority of tags and trees. MI would have both, side by side.
Bill