Local backup/restore

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
jamal

Backup & Synchronization

Post by jamal »

The top feature on the voting list is "Web Backup & Synchronization." This is good, but backup & synchronization should not be lmited to the web.

This feature should start from a basic capability to BACKUP/RESTORE to a local drive/folder. A choice to backup either to a local folder or to a web location would be great.

I wanted to add this comment to the uservoice forum, but it requires a user login, which I dont' have and I don't want to create a new one.

I hope the "Web Backup & Synchronization" feature request on Uservoice can be modified to reflect the need for a general backup/restore functionality, not just to the web.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Jamal, I need more details on your request. What files should this feature backup/restore. Only the current topic or all topics in My Topics folder?
jamal

Post by jamal »

Thank you Petko for your response.

Here's the concept.
-- Remind the user to backup when exiting MyInfo.
-- Backup is NOT by default. The user chooses to backup or not.
-- Backup all topics (unless you want to figure out the delta and "synchronize" by applying the delta. Note that the delta may be more than the current changes).
-- Backup to one and the same location. The backup path is set by default.

Here's one way to do it.
A dialog box can be shown when exiting MyInfo to ask the user: "Do you want to backup?" This dialog should appear even if there are no changes in the current session. It could possibly not throw the dialog, if the default local backup path does not exist (this may be the case when the user is on another computer - with portable or non-portable version - where the backup is not made).

Depending on how you want to tackle it, the restore can be full (overwrite all topics) or delta (overwrite only changed topics). However, it would be good to have a choice to restore selected topics.