Suggestions for the Import Plugin SDK

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
mfelix

Suggestions for the Import Plugin SDK

Post by mfelix »

Dear Petko,

I'm in the midst of developing an import plugin. It is primarily targeted at people wanting to transfer their askSam databases into MyInfo. I will open a new topic when I have a first working version.

There are two things that I would like to propose as enhancements:

1) When I test the plugin from within MyInfo, MyInfo does not free the dll after usage. I have to close it down, compile a new dll version and restart MyInfo. This is a bit cumbersome. Could you release the dll after usage ?

2) When I come upon a problem in the dll from which I cannot recover I return an error code to MyInfo (RE_ERROR). The import stops, but MyInfo does not inform the user about the problem. Could you add an error message in this case ?

Cheers,

Felix
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Thanks Felix, problem 1) will be fixed in MyInfo 5.50 Beta.

As for problem 2), it is this way by design. MyInfo has no idea what error occurred in the plugin, so it better, if the plugin displays the error message instead. If MyInfo display a generic error message, in most of the cases the user will see two error messages (one from the plugin and one from MyInfo). Do you think we should change that?
mfelix

Post by mfelix »

I see what you mean Petko. The simplest way would be to leave it as it is, but to include this information with the SDK documentation (i.e. that the plugin should display the error message).

I was planning a plugin without any GUI for the time being (configuration via a simple config file), so probably that's why I wasn't thinking about displaying the error message myself. A simple popup shouldn't be a problem. For the rest I have a detailed log file to see what was done during the import.
mfelix

Post by mfelix »

There are two small problems I came upon:

1) After importing several documents in one go, MyInfo selects the last document imported in the tree view. The text pane, however, is empty. If have to select another document and then reselect the last document to see its content.

2) MyInfo seems to disregard the document->Level I set, or more precisely it uses it as relative to the document that was selected in the tree when the import started.
Thus a document->Level=0 is not automatically the top level in the tree, but is on the same level as the selected document. A document->Level=1 is then one level below the selected document and not one level below the top level.

Petko, can you duplicate this behaviour and if so, correct it for a future version ?