Cross-platform version?

Tell us what could be improved in MyInfo
Coolrat

Cross-platform version?

Post by Coolrat »

Hi Petko,

Do you have any long-term plans to perhaps release a cross-platform version of MyInfo?
I don't know if this is technically possible- to have one application that can be ported to Windows, Linux, Mac.

Keep up your great work with this amazing application. And thanks!
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

I am researching our options for supporting other platforms (both mobile and desktop), but it is still too early to say if and when it will be possible to have such versions. I will let you know when there is any progress on this one.
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

That's very good news. Perhaps have a look at the plans made by the developer of Surfulator to make his app cross-platform. http://blog.surfulater.com/2012/06/29/s ... on-part-1/

It would be nice if there was some type of simple version available for portable devices.
And a cross-platform version would allow me to easily go back to Linux.
Perhaps check with Codeweavers, the developers of Crossover, to see if they can offer advice on making MyInfo more compatible with Linux, or at least with WINE. http://www.codeweavers.com/services/engagements/
wsp

Post by wsp »

I agree with coolrat. Even a simplified version for portable devices would be excellent news. I do nearly all my serious work on a desktop or laptop computer, but there are times when I really would like to get access to my Myinfo notes on my iPad or iPhone -- even if read-only.

Perhaps creating a Web version in HTML5 would be easier than producing an iOS or Android app? I assume the main challenge there would be the syncing.
Bill
wsp

Post by wsp »

Another thought about this matter.

I've done a lot of experiments to see whether it's possible to get the contents of my MyInfo topics on my iPhone and iPad -- in read-only format. I've tried PDF files, but they are awkward to handle in some ways. More recently I've experimented with websites automatically generated by MyInfo. That works much more slickly, but there seems to be no way of searching for words or phrases.

Is there some relatively inexpensive and simple way of making a website searchable? I'm aware that Google and others offer such software, but they seem to demand that the website be on a server that is normally indexed by Google, whereas I would keep this website on Dropbox. Anyone here have some suggestions?
Bill
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

The other day my Win 7 notebook was infected by a virus that ruined my OS. Normally I have a good backup system in place, but owing to a series of strange oversights, my current OS was unrecoverable.
Reinstalling Win 7 and getting everything working again wasted a great deal of time indeed. I'm seriously considering returning to Linux and running Win7 as as a guest virtual machine.

I do hope you might consider releasing a cross-platform version of MyInfo, and specifically a version for Linux.
Several years ago, I wrote to several note-app developers about this and encouraged them to consider making a Linux version of their software so that they might capture significant numbers of Linux users (where they would have very few serious competitors). Now, 6 years later, a powerful note-taking application for Linux still does not exist.

The only powerful note applications on Linux that allow cutting and pasting of formatted text are the open-source KeepNote, CherryTree and the proprietary NoteCase Pro. These applications are nice, but do not have any web-clipping tool, and overall do not come close to matching the power of MyInfo. So I'd still say that Linux users remain as a sizable and largely untapped market.
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

Hoping for some good news regarding a new cross platform version of MyInfo. A new version that has a mobile phone app that can sync to the destktop version will breathe new life into MyInfo. I am currently using Evernote for fieldwork research because it offers this flexibility, but I will be more than glad to drop it like a hot-potatoe when MyInfo offers similar functions.