Markdown

Tell us what could be improved in MyInfo
wsp

Markdown

Post by wsp »

Petko, have you ever considered offering some kind of markdown conversion in MyInfo?

I have several plain-text apps on my iPhone that I use for taking notes on the run which are later shifted into MyInfo. It would be very convenient if MyInfo could automatically convert markdown symbols when I import those notes into MyInfo. I know nothing about programing, but I suspect that this might be a nice lightweight solution to the problem of transferring notes from mobile devices to MyInfo -- something that I (and I assume others) find myself doing more and more often nowadays.
Bill
wsp

Post by wsp »

Just to make it clear what I am suggesting:

I would like to be able to create a text file (using markdown) on my iPhone and sync it to my desktop computer. Then on my computer I would drag and drop that file into a blank MyInfo document, and at that point MyInfo would convert *italic phrase* to italic phrase, etc. I can do all of these things at the moment except the last part, but the automatic conversion (through a menu choice?) would be a great time-saver.
Bill
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Bill, there are currently no plans for native Markdown integration, but you can easily use the excellent MarkdownPad editor to copy/paste Markdown files to MyInfo.

Just open the file, select all text in the HTML output pane and paste it either in the tree or in the text editor.
wsp

Post by wsp »

Thanks, Petko. I had already experimented with Markdownpad and wasn't happy with the results. It's easy enough to paste or drag and drop formatted text into MyInfo, but then the problem is how to apply the default paragraph and font styles to that text. If I simply invoke the default at the beginning or end of the paragraph (I've set up control+1 for the default paragraph style), then any local formatting in individual words or phrases (such as italics) is not modified. But if I select the entire paragraph and use the control+1 shortcut, it removes all local formatting.

This is actually a more general problem in trying import formatted text into MyInfo. If there's some procedure for getting around it, I'd like to know it.
Bill