[added] faster method to tag documents/nodes

Tell us what could be improved in MyInfo
Coolrat

[added] faster method to tag documents/nodes

Post by Coolrat »

Hi,
My database has become large and I've recently found it useful to tag documents with keywords as soon as I create them. This allows me to be able to find things.

The tagging system is much better than a year ago, but it still needs improvement.
If I want to tag a number of documents with the same keyword-tag, I must select each document individually, and add the tag. Also, assigning keyword-tags is a bit slow.

I recommend allowing user to select multiple documents and assign a keyword-tag, or more than one keyword-tags at the same time.

I think the entire system by which keyword-tags is implemented could use be improved, but I will need to think about this, and compare it with other applications.

Does anyone have suggestions on how keyword-tagging could be improved?
kf

Post by kf »

I've often found myself not using tagging features, in Myinfo and in other programs. However, I've been using WebResearch for webpages and use the tagging... this got me wondering why I could use the tags in WebResearch so easily. What I've realized (about myself, I'm not saying this is the way everyone is!) is that I utilize tags when the tags have a hierarchy or context. In MyInfo, arranged in a grid, the tags seem lost or lacking in context. They are merely a bunch of seemingly random words.

When you can have a tree of tags (too much depth does get unwieldy), after selecting an document pick the relevant tags from this tree and the document feels like it's been placed somewhere; it has better context. Further, when searching for an document, I can easily find the tag because it's related to other tags.

Another way to think about this concept, is to think of virtual folders that you place articles into. Each document can be in multiple folders at once. Once again, the key for me is being able to put the documents into something. I realize we traditionally think of tags as merely metadata we apply to the document... that's true. But if looked at solely from that viewpoint, the tags just jumble in my head. A structured view of tags/virtual folders helps me organize my organization!

I think the biggest problem with knowledge storage is context. I dont use tags in MyInfo because they have no context (though I love MyInfo, this is just one aspect I can't use, after trying several times).

Just my own thoughts. I've thought about posting this for several months now... glad to see there is discussion on ways to make tagging more useful! Keep up the great work on MyInfo!
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

Keyword tagging in the photo-management programs, Lightroom 5 and IMatch 5, are extremely well-implemented.
These programs allow the creation of hierarchical, nested keywords that are very easy to apply and add.
The hierarchical keywords lists used in these programs can be exported and edited if needed.

I would like to see MyInfo use such a system. In fact, if I could import my list of keywords from Lightroom or IMatch, it would save me a great deal of time as many of my sociological-based keywords I use in MyInfo are the same as the ones I use in my photo management programs.

I'm looking forward to seeing improvements in the newest version!
pjmiller

Post by pjmiller »

I am new to MyInfo but I have surveyed many other note taking programs, and reviewed them in my blog (http://pauljmiller.wordpress.com/ if you are interested).

I agree that tags need a hierarchy to give them context. I use the tree as a hierarchical tagging system, MyInfo makes this possible because it supports transclusion (Cloning) and so I end up with an enormous number of clones. The tagging scheme in MyInfo is OK but if you rely on it then you will end up with a very long list of tags which is difficult to manage.

If the tagging scheme in MyInfo is to become more useful it will need a hierarchy and a better way of selecting tags but there really is no need if the tree itself is used as the tagging scheme.