How to import opml/xml/html data?

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
mia

How to import opml/xml/html data?

Post by mia »

Hello,

I hope it is possible to import such data even if it does not yet have the form MIA requires? I can do some scripting in order to get there, but would need to know exactly what MIA expects; I have installed the current .opml import add-in from your link.

My source program exports to .xml (not .opml), with some fields for each record, notably ID, title and comment; the tree structure can be retrieved from the respective indentation levels (number of tabs in front of the data) of the items in there, so I can write an .opml file, fetch the data from the three fields, put them in any order / form which expected, and add a fourth field into the .opml, then containing the indentation level number, I just need to know the exact structure of the .opml file from which then MIA can import.

As for the content (formatted text, sometimes pics) of the items, my source program exports these contents as .html files, every one of which in its own folder, which is named after the ID number of the respective item; if the item has no content, that folder and .html file in it will not be created since then, all the necessary info for the item to be created is already in the item data in the .xml file.

Thus, my script would check if for every item ID, there is a respective folder for the respective .html data, and if there is, it would copy the .html data into the .opml file, there into some dedicated "content" field.

So, my script will automate the writing of the necessary .opml file, but first, I would need the exact syntax and field denominations expected in that .opml file:
- header of the file
- for every item: header, title field, indentation level field, comment field, content field, footer, and in case expected order of these fields (it seems my IDs are only necessary for the processing within my script, and not needed then any further)
- footer of the file

Thank you very much!
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

FWIW: An OPML plugin is available at https://www.myinfoapp.com/addons/import ... ort-export
mia

Post by mia »

To the developer:

Can you please give me the necessary specifications of your opml tool, so that I can write my script for which I'll need to know what my script will need to write, so that your opml tool can process the file.

As you know, opml is not a standard but "every opml is different", so I need to know the expected specification.

I had said I had installed this tool / plugin, but I miss any help re what it expects.

The text file it comes with, reads,

"OPML import & export plugin v.3.0 for MyInfo
=======================================

Installation instructions
-------------------------
Extract all files from the archive to MyInfo Plugins
folder ({Windows user path}\AppData\Roaming\Milenix\MyInfo\4\Plugins).

Version history
---------------

3.0: Imports and exports document text content in "description" attributes
2.5: Imports rss "xmlUrl" attributes and exports links in "xmlUrl" attributes
2.0: Exports document attributes
1.5: Imports additional outline attributes as custom column values
1.0: Initial release"

Thus, can you give a link in case, where I can gather the necessary information from.

Thank you.

P.S.

I had also read, in the forum, "I notice that boldface, italics, table format etc. get lost with OPML. I guess that's inevitable because OPML format is plain text. However, thankfully, paragraphing is preserved." - but that was in 2020 or 2021 (albeit with plugin v.3 already).

Obviously, since MIA stores as html, and since, as explained above, I have my data in html, I would expect my FORMATTED data will REMAIN formatted after import, as well as I would expect preservation of the (not so many) pictures within the html data.

So, if the poster of the "I notice that boldface, italics, table format etc. get lost with OPML. I guess that's inevitable" above is right, please say so, since I'm not interested in buying a program which can't import formatted data.

On the other hand, it would be a real pity to refrain from buying and using the program, just following third parties' false allegations. And of course, opml is capable to transport formatted data; it's just the opml tool must be able to extract it correctly, i.e. the html data, from within the correct field format, will have then to be processed correctly, and since your data format is html anyway, there would not even any transposition to be made it seems.

Do you have any EXAMPLE opml file for MIA, with dummy data, but in the correct format?