Myinfo 6.35 crashed

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
ozstar

Myinfo 6.35 crashed

Post by ozstar »

Hi,

I am not sure why or what happened but today I try to open Myinfo and the cursor just goes round and round in Win 7 64.

It will not open.

In Task manager there were3 Myinfo.exe

I decided to reinstall 6.35 again over the previous one.

My topics and data are is Dropbox.

After the reinstall I see in task Manager that there are 3 Myinfo.exe *32.

Even though I tried to end them in Task manager they would not close.

How can I get this up and running again please.

ADDED: I also tried to open it on another computer which also has access to the data in Dropbox but this too will not open.

ADDED1: I opened the program okay in my Surface Pro 3 using the same mio file in Dropbox.
I noticed it asked if I wanted ti update to 3441 I think. I skipped because that is what I now remember that happened before. I chose the update, then it stopped working.

ADDED2: When I click on the desktop icon, the cursor starts spinning and stay that way until I reboot. It does not load.
There are multiple myinfo.exe in TaskManager.

I am not sure whether i should uninstall it without losing anything.
ozstar

Post by ozstar »

Now I am really puzzled.

After the computer being off for 24 hours I was able to click on the Desktop icon and the program opened up as normal. Same Dropbox mio file all up to date.

This would have to be the 6.35 version that I reinstalled over the old one.

It still asks if I want to update however I still have not.. afraid I guess.. :-(

Any ideas why this could have happened ?

Thanks

oz
Wolf71

Post by Wolf71 »

Same here: Installed MyInfo 6.35 on a new machine today, but it won't start. Found three "MyInfo" entries in task manager but could not kill them.

As a workaround, I did a de-install of 6.35 and installed 6.34 (build 2837) instead. But also 6.34 won't start now.

The 6.34 on my old machine is still working, thank God.

Both machines are running Win 7 64-bit.

As I rely heavily on data stored in MyInfo, I expect a fix ASAP. Not being able to use the software after an update is the horror for me. By pure luck I read this thread before updating the old machine to 6.35. I would have locked me out of my digital life!

I conclude to say, for me this incident is a massive loss of confidence in MyInfo.

UPDATE:

After tinkering some more, I found an interaction between MyInfo and my current installation of Avast Pro Antivirus. If I disable the antivirus software, MyInfo is able to start as usual. After enabling Avast again, MyInfo gets held back without Avast saying a word about it, what I again consider strange behaviour, this time on Avast's side.

I then updated Avast Pro Antivirus to the latest software version (11.1.2245) and tried to start MyInfo (6.35 build 3441) once more. As a result, Avast did a scan of the MyInfo program file for about 15 seconds while showing an animation depicting the process. Obviously Avast found nothing, and MyInfo started.

I haven't seen this procedure happen again, probably MyInfo is considered to be "harmless" now. Nevertheless I have not observed Avast going wild that way for any software I use. This leaves some bitter aftertaste to me.
ozstar

Post by ozstar »

Ah haaa.

I have Free Avast and never thought to disable it.

I thought I had the latest Definitions 151207-1 and latest program 10.4.2233 but now see 11.1.2244 is available from Dec 2.

Maybe that was my prob too. Avast has temporarily messed up things before for me on other downloads.

I guess I will upgrade Avast then try and upgrade to 3441.

I may still turn Avast off while I do it.

Thanks for the info..

ADDED: I wonder of programs would notify these Virus companies of their new releases so they could add them to their daily update stuff. Petgo ?
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Thank you all for your feedback and I am really sorry for this issue. We have notified Avast about these problems and I hope they will be quick to whitelist MyInfo in their program!

Meanwhile, whitelisting MyInfo.exe in Avast should fix the problem:
http://www.getavast.net/support/managing-exceptions
ozstar

Post by ozstar »

Thanks Petko.. All good...

Updated just fine to 3441.

oz
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Just got an answer from Avast. They will white-list MyInfo in the next update probably.
Aeden71

Post by Aeden71 »

Win 10 64 Upgrade
Same issue.
Upgrade to 6.35 [3772]
Start MyInfo 6 and nothing.
Found multiple copies running in Task Manager

Adding it to my AVAST White list
Reboot to remove copies
It worked!!!

Thank you all for the suggestions.