Search and replace

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
wsp

Search and replace

Post by wsp »

I am in the midst of rescuing some old documents that I created many years ago in now-obsolete software. I managed to salvage the basic text, but each document is littered with codes (line-endings, for example, are rendered as "\line"), and I am using MyInfo to clean it up. MyInfo's "Find and Replace" command, though I have always turned to it frequently, in this case is not quite up to the task. As far as I can see, there is no way of putting a line return into the "Replace with" box.

So I have developed this workaround: I use "Find" rather than "Find and Replace"; I type "\line" in the "Find what" box; when MyInfo locates an instance, I click on the blue area surrounding the menu commands; then I hit the enter key; finally, I go back to "Find and Replace" and repeat.

It's a bit awkward but still better than making all of these replacements manually. However, it would be even more convenient if I were able to do things like hitting the enter (or control) key in the "Replace with" box. So I would like to add that to the wish-list for the next version of MyInfo.
Bill
Jon

Post by Jon »

Have you considered using a text editor like NoteTab or Notepad++

They would make short work of your task.

Jon
wsp

Post by wsp »

Thanks, a sensible suggestion, though I would still like to be able to do it from within MyInfo in some future version.
Bill
jamal

Post by jamal »

Can you replace your line return symbols (\line) with \par and see how it shows up in MI after saving the document in MI?
wsp

Post by wsp »

Thanks for the suggestion, but I still can't get the results I want. I did notice, however, that if I right-click on the "Replace with" box, I am allowed to insert various Unicode control characters. I wonder if one of them might produce a line return? I haven't experimented yet, because I'm seriously out of my depth.
Bill
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

I doubt that this will be included in MyInfo 7. Unfortunately, it is not as simple to do as in a plain text editor, because in MyInfo pressing Enter produces new paragraph and in the plain text editor it just adds a special newline symbol..
wsp

Post by wsp »

Thanks. It's good to have a definitive answer to my question. Fortunately, it's not an issue that has ever come up before in using MyInfo.
Bill