.Txt File Copy/Paste Formatting Issue

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
Post Reply
Eddie T
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:43 pm

.Txt File Copy/Paste Formatting Issue

Post by Eddie T » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:35 pm

I'm exporting a document to a .txt file with Tab-key formatting for a column appearance.

When I copy from Notepad and paste into the text editor, I lose some of the Tabs, not all. If I manually fix the problem in MyInfo and go to print preview, everything is all over the place. If I go back to the original copy-paste and preview, it looks like it did Notepad.

Here is what it looks like in Notepad -
notepad snip.PNG
notepad snip.PNG (6.93 KiB) Viewed 225 times
Here it is in the text editor after after being cleaned up -
text editor snip.PNG
text editor snip.PNG (5.63 KiB) Viewed 225 times
And finally, here it is in the print preview -
preview snip.PNG
preview snip.PNG (5.58 KiB) Viewed 225 times
I did a physical print to verify that the Print Preview was what would actually come out on paper.

Petko
MyInfo Support
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by Petko » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:35 pm

Eddie, is this the latest build of MyInfo 6.35? I try to reproduce it with build 4463, but it looks normal. It could be related to the Print options too..

Eddie T
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:43 pm

Post by Eddie T » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:24 pm

Yes, 6.35 [4463].

I've copied the .txt paste into Word and it works perfectly. I copied that information from Word into a new document in MyInfo and it still has the same behavior. I've copied the original .txt file into an new document and still the same. I manually typed a few lines myself and it worked.

I've been using MyInfo for two or three years now and not had this behavior, nor have I made any recent changes to my print settings. Any suggestions on what print settings could be messing it up?

This .txt file was saved from a Java program, but I thought .txt stripped any formatting by definition. Even with that assumption, the export template has a line that turns encoding off, so I don't think ANSI, UTF, or UTF-8 should make any difference. Looking at the original .txt file, those seem to be the only preferences able to be changed during the saving process.

I don't know, I'm clueless at this point.

Petko
MyInfo Support
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by Petko » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:06 pm

Could you send me the file at support@milenix.com, so I can run my own tests?

Eddie T
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:43 pm

Post by Eddie T » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:17 pm

On it's way, my friend!

Thanks!

Petko
MyInfo Support
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by Petko » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:49 pm

I am not sure why this happens. On my test machine the problem occurs too, although not exactly like on yours. I have contacted the author of the text editing library MyInfo uses for advice.

Meanwhile you can test with a smaller tab size (Tools > Options > Editor > Tab Size in Pixels). It seems to help, but you probably need to reformat the text again..

Eddie T
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:43 pm

Post by Eddie T » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:47 pm

Well, that makes me feel a little bit better that it's not just my machine. :lol:

Petko
MyInfo Support
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by Petko » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:34 pm

Petko wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:49 pm
Meanwhile you can test with a smaller tab size (Tools > Options > Editor > Tab Size in Pixels). It seems to help, but you probably need to reformat the text again..
In fact, it will be probably better to try with larger tabs, it seems..

Post Reply