Backup Help Request

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
metta

Backup Help Request

Post by metta »

I have changed the backup location of MI to a designated backup folder in Dropbox since I eventually intend to use MI on 2 computers.

I have also set my MI saving options to:
-- Always create a back-up copy
-- Always save every 5 minutes
-- Automatic save on exit

In addition, I routinely select "Save All" from my File menu in order to preserve all of my data while I am working.

However, only 2 of my 7 topics appear to be backing up.

(1) Is there any other backup setting I need to adjust?

(2) Is there another location where the missing backup files might be located -- other than the folder I've specified in Dropbox? (FYI, there are no backup copies located in the MyTopics folder in MyDocuments. I've already checked there.)

(3) Is there any way to give a manual backup command in addition to the automatic command that is supposed to be in effect every time I save my topics?

Any suggestions to help with troubleshooting this issue will be genuinely appreciated.

Thanks,
Metta
metta

Post by metta »

[UPDATE]

The MI Help File says:
"Only the topics stored in the default topics folder are backed up in the common backup folder. Topics, which are stored in other locations, have their backup copies in the same folder as the original file, which makes the folder cluttered with files."

FYI....I've checked for the missing backup files in the location when my original topics are located (also in Dropbox) and the backup files are not located there, either.....and I am at loss as to why I cannot find them anywhere.....

I've even done a search for all the .mib files on my hard drive, and so far there are only 2 topics with this extension, so it looks like the other 5 topics are not being saved at all.
metta

Post by metta »

[LATER UPDATE]

I just now tried saving each of the 7 topics individually, and this DID successfully create back-up copies of everything.

Is this how the back-up process is supposed to work?

I thought the "Save All" command would do the trick...but apparently it didn't....

With my thanks for your help and clarification on this newbie inquiry,
Metta
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Save All saves only recently changed topics, while Save saves the individual topic no matter, if it was changed or not. The reason for this is that you may want to save some minor topic settings like which document is selected in the tree. If we did this in the Save All command, it will slow down the save process when working with large sets of topics and no changes were made in most of them.
metta

Post by metta »

Thanks, Petko, for your prompt and helpful feedback. I appreciate your support and clarification -- and I'm loving this amazing application! :D

I also appreciate all the time and effort you've put into the development of MI. It has obviously been well-considered, and has resulted in a versatile, richly-featured and easy-to-use program.
metta

Post by metta »

As I've continued working with MI, I just wanted to confirm how the various save and backup functions work.

Are the following assumptions correct?

SAVE FUNCTION
-- Save = Saves the current note/task (only)
-- Save All = Saves all the notes/tasks within a single topic (only)
-- There is no way to save all topics at one time. Each topic needs to be saved individually -- or, if "Always save on exit" is selected (Options > Save), every open topic will be saved when the application is closed.

BACKUP FUNCTION
-- When "Always save a backup copy" is selected (Options > Save), "Save All" will automatically create a back-up copy when a topic is saved.
-- Each time MI creates a backup copy, the previous (most recent) backup copy is automatically replaced.
-- There is no way to create a sequenced series of backup copies, for example: one backup for each of the past 7 days.

Thanks,
Metta
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

This is how MyInfo Save & Backup work:

SAVE
  • Save - saves current topic
  • Save All - saves all modified topics
BACKUP
  • When topic is saved (via Save or Save All), MyInfo creates a backup copy of the topic with its previous contents.
  • There is also one additional backup copy created the first time you save a topic, after it has been successfully open. This file has a ".verified" suffix and is guaranteed to always work (except if there is some operating system/hard drive problem, of course).
  • So, yes, there are no sequential backup copies, but you generally have two backup copies per topic, one of which is always guaranteed to be working.