Installing MyInfo on Dropbox

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
laowai1965

Installing MyInfo on Dropbox

Post by laowai1965 »

I'm in the middle of my trial of MyInfo and I'm strongly considering purchasing the program. But I was wondering...

Has anyone successfully used the MyInfo Pro portable installation option to install MyInfo INSIDE their Dropbox folder. Right now, like many other users in this forum, I'm using Dropbox to store my modules and files. But I still need to install MyInfo on each computer I use in order to access the files. It would be so much easier to just install MyInfo ONCE on Dropbox then run it (like from a flash drive). Right now I do this with another info management program, NBOS' The Keep. It works great.

Any advice?
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

If Dropbox works like a flash drive (which AFAIK does), then you should have no problems installing MyInfo Portable (part of the Professional edition) and use it from there.
laowai1965

Post by laowai1965 »

Thanks for the reply, Petko.

So how does the portable installation handle linked file locations? I use a lot of linked files because 1) I have a lot of large graphics and documents, and 2) I don't want the modules to get too enormous with everything embedded in them. Are the linked files placed in a folder on the flash drive with relative links? I'm asking because the absolute location of a flash drive (and Dropbox) will vary from computer to computer -- on one computer, the flash may be read as drive E:. On another it may be Drive K:. Same with Dropbox, whose absolute location will vary based on computer configurations. So I assume the links in the portable MyInfo are all relative to the installation location (unlike the non-portable version which seems to use absolute pathways for linked files, etc).

Does the Demo version of MyInfo Pro allow portable installation? I'd like to give the portable install a test drive before committing.

Thanks again!
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Could you contact me at support@milenix.com. Generally, we do not offer MyInfo Portable trial, but I think we can work something out.