Insert File vs Insert File-Shortcut

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
Marvin

Insert File vs Insert File-Shortcut

Post by Marvin »

First of all: MyInfo is cool! I've installed a trial on Friday, though I'll just play with it. But through the weekend created 4 topics (32M total) and reduced number of messages in my E-Mail-Inbox from 820 to 500. By Sunday evening I've registered the program ;)

Now my question. I've noticed, that when I use "Insert Document from a File", a copy of the file is embedded into topic-file, not a shortcut. If I then click "View File", the file is extracted into a temp directory and extern program is started. But if I change the file in the external program, it is not saved bug to the topic after closing that application! So once inserted, I don't have any opportunity to change a file in MyInfo. Is it a bug?

In the next release I would expect to find both options: Insert a File and Insert a ShortCut. Use-Case for the first: I receive an E-Mail with attachement, drag-n-drop the Attachment to MyInfo and delete the mail. Advantage: all the info is in the single place, I can copy the topic to another PC and continue working with it.

The Use-Case for the second option: I already have my files in a folder-structure and also work with files outside of MyInfo. Still I want to have a better view on to all those documents and mix them with Hyperlinks and Notes, what is excellent implemented in MyInfo.

Good idea would be also to implement a conversion between embedding and saving shortcuts: shortcut can be easily embedded and embedded file can be extracted into a specified location and transformed to a shortcut.

If currently implemented read-only embedding is a feature, and if you insist keeping it, you can do it with a read-only flag for embedded documents or like this. In every case a user must realize it, if he has files in the tree, which are not easily editable.

Yes, I saw "Save a Copy to disk...", but it does what it say: save a COPY.

Thanks!
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Marvin, you will be able to edit the embedded files in the next versions of MyInfo and save the changes back to MyInfo.

File shortcuts are now possible only using the hyperlinks in the text editor, we will consider what further options we could provide here.
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

Petko wrote:Marvin, you will be able to edit the embedded files in the next versions of MyInfo and save the changes back to MyInfo.

File shortcuts are now possible only using the hyperlinks in the text editor, we will consider what further options we could provide here.
Thanks!

I could generate and post 10-20 feature-suggestions. Should I go on and do it, or you have enough workload and plans till 2008? ;)
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Please feel free to post your suggestions on our forums. Though we have steady plans for the next version at least, we would always pick good ideas that will benefit all MyInfo customers.
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

Petko wrote:Though we have steady plans for the next version at least, ...
Are the plans available to public? At least as a road-map.
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

Petko wrote:Marvin, you will be able to edit the embedded files in the next versions of MyInfo and save the changes back to MyInfo.
Thanks for releasing it in 3.08!

File Shortcuts are still very important feature. I look forward to it!
arrowman

Post by arrowman »

Marvin wrote:
File Shortcuts are still very important feature. I look forward to it!
Are you aware of: Insert Object > Create from File and Link and optionally Display as icon? I'd say this is a fine file shortcut feature.

The only thing I miss in this regard is the ability to associate a file hyperlink with a node. 3.0.8 seems to support only web hyperlinks on nodes.[/list][/list]
Fujisawa Rob

Post by Fujisawa Rob »

Ok, very old post I know..
But I ran into this issue. I use Photoshop for making role-playing maps, which are often greater than 10mb. So I can't embed them. My solution is to create a Windows Shortcut (.lnk) and embed that. Note that in this case, it doesn't matter if you 'View' or 'Edit' the embedded document; the target opens read-write regardless since it's the target of the link you're editing, not the link itself. Of course, if you move the file on disk, the link won't work.