New web clip extension

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
Jon

New web clip extension

Post by Jon »

Tried the new extension with MyInfo 7.1 and Firefox 89.0. Is there something special I have to do because it does not clip anything (selections, editable, attachment, etc.) to MyInfo.

Thank you.

Jon
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Jon, are you using the desktop version of MyInfo 7.1?
AndreaLambert

Post by AndreaLambert »

I use the same version, everything seems to work correctly!!
Wocius

Post by Wocius »

I have been using the new Web Clipper in Firefox, Chrome and Edge (all the current version), and it is excellent and works flawlessly. In fact, I find Web Clipper to be the best web clipping utility I have tried (includinmg, among many others, Evernote's)!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Sorry for the late reply. It is definitely not working. Don't know if it is an issue with my Windows 7 computer or maybe a possible conflict with other extensions. I doubt the latter but will disable them to confirm. I have two other computers (laptops) with Windows 10 for which I have a like/hate relationship. Based on your feedback above, and just for spite, I'll bet it will work on both Windows 10 laptops.

UPDATE: Disabling all other extensions did not work.

Jon
Jon

Post by Jon »

OK, tried and failed on Windows 10. But I think I know why and would appreciate it if someone can confirm. The extension does not work if the portable version is being used. I have not tested to see if the extension works with the installed version.

Is this correct? If so, can the extension be made to work with MyInfo portable?

Thank you.

Jon
lbw2112

Post by lbw2112 »

Edit: I noticed I didn't answer your question below. You are correct, the Clipper doesn't work if only using Portable version.

With the "Portable" version, you can use either "Auto Paste" or "Quick Paste". I'm pretty sure the Clipper needs the installed version, Petko will have to reply as to whether it can be implemented in Portable mode. I thought I'd share the other option that works currently.

You use the Auto and Quick Paste with "cut or copy" the way you do in the Windows program.

You Select what you want copied, either Right Click the mouse and select "Copy" or use "Ctrl and C" keys. This will copy it to Windows Clipboard. (This works with "Cut" also.)

Right click on the MyInfo icon in the Toolbar at the bottom. Click "Quick Paste". It will paste the selection in MyInfo where you have the options set to.

"Auto Paste" you toggle On and Off. When you turn it on, everything you copy to the clipboard in Windows automatically get's put into MyInfo so you don't have to go through and keep Quick Pasting. You turn it off and on by right clicking the MyInfo icon in the toolbar and selecting "Auto Paste" on the menu.
- When Auto Paste is turned on, you'll notice the icon in the Toolbar changes to show a clipboard in it. When you turn it off it goes away.

I find Quick / Auto Paste creates a more exact copy of whatever it is I'm copying and use that as much as the clipper, even on the installed version.

Hope it helps a little.
Have a good one,
Larry
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Jon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:06 pmIf so, can the extension be made to work with MyInfo portable?
Jon, both Chrome and Firefox (and all other browsers indeed) require a special Registry key in order to allow the extension to work with third-party apps (MyInfo in this case).

The portable install does not create such key, because it is expected that a portable install does not write any permanent data outside the portable folder.

A possible workaround is to install the desktop version, export the required key, uninstall the desktop version and import the the required key in the Registry.

Another workaround is if you tell me for which browser do you want to install the extension, I can give you instructions how to do it manually.
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Petko wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:54 pm
Jon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:06 pmIf so, can the extension be made to work with MyInfo portable?
Jon, both Chrome and Firefox (and all other browsers indeed) require a special Registry key in order to allow the extension to work with third-party apps (MyInfo in this case).

The portable install does not create such key, because it is expected that a portable install does not write any permanent data outside the portable folder.

A possible workaround is to install the desktop version, export the required key, uninstall the desktop version and import the the required key in the Registry.

Another workaround is if you tell me for which browser do you want to install the extension, I can give you instructions how to do it manually.
Is it not possible to have a button in options of MyInfo to register/update/de-register the path? I do agree that 'portable' technical means no change. But this removes functionality from MyInfo portable and work around are kind of unpractical. The old clipper did simply work for some reason? But not sure if that was me being lucky of design question.

Another option is to register the key on launch and removing it at close of portable edition. OK, there will be certain cases (crash) where this wouldn't be cleaned up. Or even a reg key in the MyInfo portable folder would do?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Petko wrote:

That would be terrific. I use Firefox. Thank you Petko.

Jon
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Jon, can you wait a couple of days? The upcoming MyInfo 7.2 will use Telesto suggestion and will register itself upon launch and de-register on exit (for the portable edition, that is).
Jon

Post by Jon »

Of course Petko. Thank you again.

UPDATE: Did a quick test. This is great! Just what I needed. Thank you very much.

Jon
exatty95

Post by exatty95 »

Updating to the current version did not cause the web extension to work for me in Chrome. I uninstalled and then reinstalled it, but it still doesn't work. I still get UTF-8 and a link to the URL I was trying to clip. Is there anything I can do to get it working for me? Thanks.