Just trialling - some questions

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
Post Reply
technobunny
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 8:42 pm

Just trialling - some questions

Post by technobunny » Sat May 10, 2008 9:06 pm

Hi, just starting trialling this, it's very close to what I'm looking for except:

1. When I copy an extract from a webpage and paste into MyInfo I would like it to automatically insert the clickable URL of the webpage I copied it from. I see there's a Fox extension for it, but what about IE? I saw mention that it's built in but the version I'm trying doesn't seem to have installed the Addon in IE? (I have IE7). How do I get the IE addon for testing please?

2. Similarly if I copy and paste from an open file on my computer e.g. Word document, can you get MyInfo to automatically insert the path to that file and make it clickable please?

3. I need keyboard shortcuts and you have a lot, but I can't find the one for going to a hyperlink (the equivalent of Ctrl Click), whether MyInfo document or file or webpage? Is there one please e.g. Alt-Enter, are you going to introduce one please?

4. I note F6 moves between panes, will you introduce e.g. Shift-F6 to move the other way round panes?

5. When you use Ctrl k to insert a link, is there a hotkey for moving between choosing File, Document or Email address?

6. If I've a lot of info in a document and decide I need to split it out into subdocuments, is there a command (ideally via a hotkey again!) so that if I highlight a section of the document and invoke the command, it'll create a subdocument for me with the content being the highlighted section, and delete that section from the original document, automatically and quickly?

Many thanks in advance.

Petko
MyInfo Support
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by Petko » Tue May 13, 2008 10:03 pm

Hi, there:
technobunny wrote:1. When I copy an extract from a webpage and paste into MyInfo I would like it to automatically insert the clickable URL of the webpage I copied it from. I see there's a Fox extension for it, but what about IE? I saw mention that it's built in but the version I'm trying doesn't seem to have installed the Addon in IE? (I have IE7). How do I get the IE addon for testing please?
When installing MyInfo, it asks you whether to install the IE plugin. You can reinstall the trial to see this option.

technobunny wrote:2. Similarly if I copy and paste from an open file on my computer e.g. Word document, can you get MyInfo to automatically insert the path to that file and make it clickable please?
I am afraid that this is not possible technically. When you paste text from the Clipboard, it has no information what is the source for the text.

technobunny wrote:3. I need keyboard shortcuts and you have a lot, but I can't find the one for going to a hyperlink (the equivalent of Ctrl Click), whether MyInfo document or file or webpage? Is there one please e.g. Alt-Enter, are you going to introduce one please?
You need to set a shortcut for the Open Hyperlink command in the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog.

technobunny wrote:4. I note F6 moves between panes, will you introduce e.g. Shift-F6 to move the other way round panes?
This would be useful, so we will consider it for the next update.

technobunny wrote:5. When you use Ctrl k to insert a link, is there a hotkey for moving between choosing File, Document or Email address?
No, there is no such hotkey currently.

technobunny wrote:6. If I've a lot of info in a document and decide I need to split it out into subdocuments, is there a command (ideally via a hotkey again!) so that if I highlight a section of the document and invoke the command, it'll create a subdocument for me with the content being the highlighted section, and delete that section from the original document, automatically and quickly?
This is not possible currently too.

technobunny
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 8:42 pm

Post by technobunny » Sat May 31, 2008 5:38 pm

Many thanks for your helpful replies Petko.
Petko wrote:
technobunny wrote:1. When I copy an extract from a webpage and paste into MyInfo I would like it to automatically insert the clickable URL of the webpage I copied it from. I see there's a Fox extension for it, but what about IE? I saw mention that it's built in but the version I'm trying doesn't seem to have installed the Addon in IE? (I have IE7). How do I get the IE addon for testing please?
When installing MyInfo, it asks you whether to install the IE plugin. You can reinstall the trial to see this option.
I don't think it's that. I've reinstalled and the position is the same: in my IE Manage Add-Ons, I can see two entries for Send to MyInfo - one an extension and one a BHO. Both are enabled. But there is no rightclick menu item for sending to MyInfo in IE. I've tried disabling and re-enabling both, and it's still the same. There's no problem with Firefox, it works fine there.

I'd be grateful if you could help on this as I really like this product but can't justify buying it if I can't get it to work with IE.
Petko wrote:
technobunny wrote:2. Similarly if I copy and paste from an open file on my computer e.g. Word document, can you get MyInfo to automatically insert the path to that file and make it clickable please?
I am afraid that this is not possible technically. When you paste text from the Clipboard, it has no information what is the source for the text.
Thanks, noted. Pity it can't add a file:// link!
Petko wrote:
technobunny wrote:3. I need keyboard shortcuts and you have a lot, but I can't find the one for going to a hyperlink (the equivalent of Ctrl Click), whether MyInfo document or file or webpage? Is there one please e.g. Alt-Enter, are you going to introduce one please?
You need to set a shortcut for the Open Hyperlink command in the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog.
Done it now, thank you for the pointer.
Petko wrote:
technobunny wrote:4. I note F6 moves between panes, will you introduce e.g. Shift-F6 to move the other way round panes?
This would be useful, so we will consider it for the next update.
That would be great.
Petko wrote:
technobunny wrote:5. When you use Ctrl k to insert a link, is there a hotkey for moving between choosing File, Document or Email address?
No, there is no such hotkey currently.
Are you considering adding one please?
Petko wrote:
technobunny wrote:6. If I've a lot of info in a document and decide I need to split it out into subdocuments, is there a command (ideally via a hotkey again!) so that if I highlight a section of the document and invoke the command, it'll create a subdocument for me with the content being the highlighted section, and delete that section from the original document, automatically and quickly?
This is not possible currently too.
Thanks, I've figured that I can do it with cut/paste etc, and also it seems better to change my habits and create the subdocuments from the start!

Some further questions:

7. When I create a new document I use Ctrl-n, then type the name of the document and hit Enter. It would be great if after I hit Enter the cursor automatically goes to the next pane for me to start typing my note, instead of having to use F6 first. Are you considering introducing this, please?

8. Thanks for setting Ctrl Shift g to access the tag editor. Is there a hotkey for accessing and changing Priority, please - or if not are you planning to introduce one?

9. I know ctrl shift a inserts the date. Is there a way to have an automatic date stamp showing the time you save a document, please?

Thank you for your continued assistance.

Petko
MyInfo Support
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by Petko » Sat May 31, 2008 8:57 pm

technobunny wrote: When installing MyInfo, it asks you whether to install the IE plugin. You can reinstall the trial to see this option.

I don't think it's that. I've reinstalled and the position is the same: in my IE Manage Add-Ons, I can see two entries for Send to MyInfo - one an extension and one a BHO. Both are enabled. But there is no rightclick menu item for sending to MyInfo in IE. I've tried disabling and re-enabling both, and it's still the same. There's no problem with Firefox, it works fine there.

I'd be grateful if you could help on this as I really like this product but can't justify buying it if I can't get it to work with IE.
Please note that there is currently no menu item for MyInfo in the IE context menu. It is available in the Tools menu instead (you can also add button to the IE toolbar using the IE toolbar customize dialog).
technobunny wrote:5. When you use Ctrl k to insert a link, is there a hotkey for moving between choosing File, Document or Email address?
Are you considering adding one please?
Yes, we will do that. I think Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2 and Ctrl+3 will be suitable shortcuts for this purpose.
technobunny wrote:7. When I create a new document I use Ctrl-n, then type the name of the document and hit Enter. It would be great if after I hit Enter the cursor automatically goes to the next pane for me to start typing my note, instead of having to use F6 first. Are you considering introducing this, please?
Currently we could not change that, because people are used to the way it is currently. We will, however, consider making some improvements in this area for the next major versions.
technobunny wrote:8. Thanks for setting Ctrl Shift g to access the tag editor. Is there a hotkey for accessing and changing Priority, please - or if not are you planning to introduce one?
Do you need a shortcut to open the pull-down Priority menu or to directly change its value?
technobunny wrote:9. I know ctrl shift a inserts the date. Is there a way to have an automatic date stamp showing the time you save a document, please?
I am not sure that I understand the question correctly. Could you please elaborate?

menagerie
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:45 pm

Post by menagerie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:52 pm

Petko wrote:
technobunny wrote:6. If I've a lot of info in a document and decide I need to split it out into subdocuments, is there a command (ideally via a hotkey again!) so that if I highlight a section of the document and invoke the command, it'll create a subdocument for me with the content being the highlighted section, and delete that section from the original document, automatically and quickly?
This is not possible currently too.
This was a long tie ago Petko... is it possible to do this now, or in the future perhaps?
Cheers
Jeff

Petko
MyInfo Support
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by Petko » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Both "split" and "merge" are planned for the next major version.

menagerie
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:45 pm

Post by menagerie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:21 pm

Brilliant! Thankyou :D Petko - I eagerly await each update, major and minor, of your terrific work.
Cheers
Jeff

Post Reply