Sync MyInfo between two computers?

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
CyberCrone

Sync MyInfo between two computers?

Post by CyberCrone »

My experience so far has been that databases usually can't be synced between computers. Can anyone tell me if I can sync MyInfo beween two computers? This is the essential feature I am looking for.
wsp

Post by wsp »

I use Dropbox for that purpose. It works very smoothly, though if you specify your default MyInfo folder as outside the Dropbox directory, you will have to remember to copy files between the MyInfo folder and the Dropbox folder from time to time.
Bill
CyberCrone

Post by CyberCrone »

wsp wrote:I use Dropbox for that purpose. It works very smoothly, though if you specify your default MyInfo folder as outside the Dropbox directory, you will have to remember to copy files between the MyInfo folder and the Dropbox folder from time to time.
Thanks for this suggestion. Never heard of Dropbox - I'll check it out! If it works for any database? it will be a treasure indeed.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Again, allow me to step in. Dropbox is a cloud service; after having had the "pleasure" to view their video - a terrible voice, like those who sell frigs to Eskimoes -, I don't think that Dropbox a a solution. As I explained elsewhere in these threads, MI would be perfect on a USB stick - today, there are very tiny ones on the market -, once Petko could solve the problem that currently, all those indexes are at every moment updated on the same drive. As said before, make the volatile indexes be written to a temp directory on the given computer, but any saving (= be it automatic by option or manually by "SaveAll" = shift-control-s) to the stick, so the stick will not be worn out, and can be stuck into any device you're using at a given time.

And then, collaborative issues are indeed the future of computing, but it's not dropbox that'll help in that... ;-)
wsp

Post by wsp »

Fred, I agree that Dropbox doesn't provide the full-scale syncing that one needs for collaboration. I thought the question was merely about syncing files from one computer to another, and for that purpose it works very nicely. With all due respect, I must say that you have amazingly strong opinions about software that you've never used! (It's probably not a good idea to judge programs by the voices in promotional videos, by the way.)
Bill
CyberCrone

Post by CyberCrone »

wsp wrote:Fred, I agree that Dropbox doesn't provide the full-scale syncing that one needs for collaboration. I thought the question was merely about syncing files from one computer to another, and for that purpose it works very nicely.
My question was indeed just about syncing from one computer to another, and I did try Dropbox and it works very well for my purposes. And because it includes online backup, I just upgraded to paid version for 50G. What serves me well as an individual might not be ideal for groups or enterprises, but I believe that in fact Dropbox does have a way to let others share files altho since that doesn't interest me at this point I don't remember how that is done.

So anyway your suggestion turned out to be just the thing for me, wsp.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I'm very happy Dropbox does it then, especially since it's free. ;-)