A user of Action Outline wanting to migrate to MI, but...

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
homefish

A user of Action Outline wanting to migrate to MI, but...

Post by homefish »

I just finished my trial of MyInfo, and unfortunately while it has a lot of great features that Action Outline desperately lacks (searching, spell checking, custom columns, etc.), it is buggy (i had it crash several times) and has a slow, bloated feeling to it.

I've been using Action Outline for years and despite it not being updated in about 10 years, (a dead-end program if there ever was one), except to add tabbed documents and change tree colors, at least it is a super light-weight, nimble, rock-solid application... MyInfo still has a ways to go :(

However, i wanted to look past that and desperately wanted something better than AO. MyInfo just didn't cut it. I found these major errors unacceptable for me:

Major Issues:
• Double and Triple Clicking (also clicking and dragging) doesn't work like 99% of every other Windows program. (Open up a Word document and try this: Double-clicking highlights a word, triple-clicking highlights a whole paragraph. MyInfo doesn't work this way. Also, double-click a word and while holding down the mouse, just start dragging -- you begin highlighting starting with that word. Again, MI doesn't work this way.)

• Long document titles get cut off and don't even appear or give indication they are truncated (e.g. ellipsis), and even the "multiline document titles" setting doesn't make a difference.. there is a very wide imaginary right-margin in the tree pane that doesn't need to be there. (also here's a brilliant idea: give the tree window a horizontal scrollbar when needed... like any other windows program would.) Interestingly, long document titles that don't contain any spaces *DO* show an ellipsis when truncated.

• The Hyperlink style doesn't create links that are actually clickable... i.e. it just makes them "look" like hyperlinks (i encountered this when importing my Action Outline file -- all the hyperlinks were blue and underlined but were unclickable)

• Sometimes closing MyInfo (using either the top right X or double-clicking the upper left program icon) will result in the program actually shutting down despite "Close button minimizes application" setting being checked.

• Viewing embedded files (e.g. Excel) or stored copies of a web pages is ridiculous -- the viewer pane is tiny compared to the huge notes window underneath, and minimizing the notes window or changing the size doesn't stick.. simply change focus to anything else and they "reset"

• Embedding files into a document, like an Excel file, creates some strange behaviour. As soon as you click on that "document" with the embedded file, a "lock" is placed on the actual file on the hard drive and you can no longer directly double-click on the file in File Explorer and have it come up in its native application (e.g. Excel), instead it creates a "ghost" iteration of the application that just sits on the taskbar, but you can't actually change focus to it. Also, any attempts to double-click on the file to edit it outside of MyInfo, just brings up MyInfo. (Also I noticed that the address bar within MyInfo show that the file's location is in the temporary folder my user's Local Settings directory). The only way i've found to put things back to normal is to force kill the process of Excel and then magically i can regain access to the file again. (i.e. why go through all this trouble just to see your file within MyInfo?)

• Custom Icons suck: It doesn't use the 16x16 version of an ICO file, instead it uses the 32x32(?) version and crops it to 16x16

• After creating a new "document" pressing TAB opens the comment tooltip box rather than switching focus to the document window. If users don't want to add a comment to their document and instead want to just start adding content to their doc, this just gets in their way.

Minor Issues:
• The header over each "document" pane needs to be bigger and bolder (perhaps give us custom control over this).

• Pasting a hyperlink as destination formatting text does not retain the formatting of document -- it defaults to the 8pt whatever style.

• When dragging a subdocument into another document, the destination document does not auto-expand the way file explorer would if dragging a folder onto another folder
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

homefish wrote:I just finished my trial of MyInfo, and unfortunately while it has a lot of great features that Action Outline desperately lacks (searching, spell checking, custom columns, etc.), it is buggy (i had it crash several times) and has a slow, bloated feeling to it.

I've been using Action Outline for years and despite it not being updated in about 10 years, (a dead-end program if there ever was one), except to add tabbed documents and change tree colors, at least it is a super light-weight, nimble, rock-solid application... MyInfo still has a ways to go :(

However, i wanted to look past that and desperately wanted something better than AO. MyInfo just didn't cut it. I found these major errors unacceptable for me:
I am sorry that you found MyInfo not suitable for you, but after reading your remarks, I think most of the things can be resolved soon.
homefish wrote:• Double and Triple Clicking (also clicking and dragging) doesn't work like 99% of every other Windows program. (Open up a Word document and try this: Double-clicking highlights a word, triple-clicking highlights a whole paragraph. MyInfo doesn't work this way. Also, double-click a word and while holding down the mouse, just start dragging -- you begin highlighting starting with that word. Again, MI doesn't work this way.)
It will be possible to select paragraph by tripple-clicking in the next release. As for the double-click and selection, I can't promise anything at this time.
homefish wrote:• Long document titles get cut off and don't even appear or give indication they are truncated (e.g. ellipsis), and even the "multiline document titles" setting doesn't make a difference.. there is a very wide imaginary right-margin in the tree pane that doesn't need to be there. (also here's a brilliant idea: give the tree window a horizontal scrollbar when needed... like any other windows program would.) Interestingly, long document titles that don't contain any spaces *DO* show an ellipsis when truncated.
The next release of MyInfo has improved display of long document titles, showing ellipses when the title is too long and revealing the full name when hovering over the title with the mouse.
homefish wrote:• The Hyperlink style doesn't create links that are actually clickable... i.e. it just makes them "look" like hyperlinks (i encountered this when importing my Action Outline file -- all the hyperlinks were blue and underlined but were unclickable)
I have to research this further.
homefish wrote:• Sometimes closing MyInfo (using either the top right X or double-clicking the upper left program icon) will result in the program actually shutting down despite "Close button minimizes application" setting being checked.
This one too.
homefish wrote:• Viewing embedded files (e.g. Excel) or stored copies of a web pages is ridiculous -- the viewer pane is tiny compared to the huge notes window underneath, and minimizing the notes window or changing the size doesn't stick.. simply change focus to anything else and they "reset"
This problem was resolved in the last beta version and will be fixed in the next official release too.
homefish wrote:• Embedding files into a document, like an Excel file, creates some strange behaviour. As soon as you click on that "document" with the embedded file, a "lock" is placed on the actual file on the hard drive and you can no longer directly double-click on the file in File Explorer and have it come up in its native application (e.g. Excel), instead it creates a "ghost" iteration of the application that just sits on the taskbar, but you can't actually change focus to it. Also, any attempts to double-click on the file to edit it outside of MyInfo, just brings up MyInfo. (Also I noticed that the address bar within MyInfo show that the file's location is in the temporary folder my user's Local Settings directory). The only way i've found to put things back to normal is to force kill the process of Excel and then magically i can regain access to the file again. (i.e. why go through all this trouble just to see your file within MyInfo?)
I need a little clarification here: are you talking about embedding files as objects (Insert > Object) inside the document or for embedding files as attachments (Insert > Document From File)?
homefish wrote:• Custom Icons suck: It doesn't use the 16x16 version of an ICO file, instead it uses the 32x32(?) version and crops it to 16x16
The next release of MyInfo has much better custom icons: it will not only import small (16x16), when available, but also allows you to import any other graphic file (png, jpg, gif, bmp).
homefish wrote:• After creating a new "document" pressing TAB opens the comment tooltip box rather than switching focus to the document window. If users don't want to add a comment to their document and instead want to just start adding content to their doc, this just gets in their way.
This is so by design. In AO there is single column in the tree and it is natural TAB to lead to the text pane. If you hide Comment, Tags and any other columns from the tree, MyInfo works the same way as AO. However, if there are other columns visible, it first iterates though them and just then it goes to the text pane.
homefish wrote:• The header over each "document" pane needs to be bigger and bolder (perhaps give us custom control over this).
It is not bigger, but it is bold in the next release.
homefish wrote:• Pasting a hyperlink as destination formatting text does not retain the formatting of document -- it defaults to the 8pt whatever style.
This will be fixed.
homefish wrote:• When dragging a subdocument into another document, the destination document does not auto-expand the way file explorer would if dragging a folder onto another folder
If you hover with the document over the plus button, it will expand the subdocuments after short time.

Thank you for trying MyInfo and for sharing you valuable feedback with us!