Web Clipping

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
ibins181

Web Clipping

Post by ibins181 »

I am a longtime fan of MyInfo, unfortunately, one thing just really keeps it from being my one and only tool - the lack of good web clipping.
Clipping information from the web just does not really work. I could live with losing the formating and styles, but losing all graphics and pictures is not acceptable. There are so many products that do a decent job here (f.i. RightNote) is there any hope of an improvement soon?

Thanks for an otherwise really great product!

Susanne
ibins181

Post by ibins181 »

Hi Petko,

I need to bump this post - I cannot believe that I am the only one with these problems - are there plans for fixing this?

Thanks!

Susanne
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Are you still unable to copy graphics using the latest version? Could you give some web page examples where it does not work for you?
ibins181

Post by ibins181 »

Unfortunately yes, most sites still do not transfer well.

see for instance:
http://koeln-bonn.business-on.de/drucka ... 11998.html

http://sfworkblog.wordpress.com/2011/03 ... nt-change/

http://www.wiwo.de/management-erfolg/re ... 041/print/

really bothersome is what comes out when you try to capture just the middle frame here:
http://www.personalitypathways.com/arti ... amics.html

also, just try to capture an article on ebay or something from an html mail.

let me know if you need any more examples, or if I can be of help in any other way,

BTW: I am using the USB Version and IE8 - at work, so no other options possible!

thanks,
Susanne
KChristoph

Post by KChristoph »

ibins181 wrote:Unfortunately yes, most sites still do not transfer well.
thanks, Susanne
Susanne,
ich habe MyInfo schon vor Jahren, damals noch die Vers.3, auf der Suche nach einem feinen Info-Verwaltungstool wahrgenommen.
Vieles habe ich als Autodidakt ausprobiert, eine endgültige Lösung habe ich noch nicht gefunden ...
Ich teste gerade die von dir genannten Beispiele mit meinen aktuellen "Favoriten" ...
All' unsere Erfahrungen sollten wir evtl. für uns und auch andere Sucher in eine tabellarische Vergleichsübersicht einfließen lassen ...
Ich wünsche allen einen sonnigen Herbst.
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

Hi
I am thinking about transferring all my data to MyInfo, but am wondering how well the web-clipper is performing now? This will be one of the primary things that I'll use this application for- clipping things from websites, entire pages, and making comments and notes on this data.

Is the webclipper function accurate and fast? It sounds like there's some problems.

If there is, then perhaps I should wait until these issues are fixed. Thanks for any suggestions!
ibins181

Post by ibins181 »

Hi Petko,

this is still a problem - is there any progress?

Maybe this could help: I stumbled across this yesterday and found that it helped on my other computer, which is running Windows 7 (64bit). Here at work I can only use the portable version and have 0 rights on the pc, so I still don't see any pictures.

http://whizfolders.com/blog/index.php/i ... shows-icon

I would really, really, appreciate it if this gets fixed!

Thanks,
Susanne
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Susanne, I am very happy to tell you that we are currently working on the HTML import and it will be improved significantly very soon. I will keep you updated!
ibins181

Post by ibins181 »

Wonderful, I look forward to hearing from you!
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

Add my name to the list of users who will be thrilled to see a greatly improved webclipper.

Right now, it works, but barely so.

Questinon: I'm not even sure if MyInfo is currently saving a copy of the page, or just a URL that it displays inside its internal broswer. It seems that I must
a) in Firefox, click "Send to MyInfo"
b) in MyInfo click "Store Local Copy" , to actually store the page. Is this right?

c) If I click "Update Local Copy Webpage", I assume that MyInfo will replace the stored copy with a new version from the URL (if there is a new version).

Yes, a greatly improved HTML clipper is greatly needed! And anticipated by many of us. Thanks!
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

ibins181 wrote:Wonderful, I look forward to hearing from you!
Check your email for the new version of MyInfo, which includes better HTML import.
ibins181

Post by ibins181 »

yes, yes, yes!

Thanks - this is so much better!

:D
Susanne
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

After the improvements, web clipping has been massively improved.
Now it has become a very functional and useful tool. The "Send to MyInfo (attachment) captures most entire webpages or selected parts quite well! It can still use some improvement as there are some webpages that it still cannot capture properly.

And the "Send to MyINfo" does a good job of converting HTML and pasting it into the Rich Text editing window. Now, most of the time it does just as good a job as MS WORD in maintaining proper formatting when pasting from a webpage. This has eliminated the need to copy from a website, paste into WORD, and then cut and paste from WORD into MyInfo. Again, there are improvements that can be made.

So far, so good. But please, please continue to improve this tool. Most useful would be the ability to edit the content of locally stored webpages. UltraRecall has this ability- the user can edit nearly everything in the stored webpage- this allows the user to highlight text, and make notes inside as well.

Also, I think an extemely useful tool are 'sticky notes' - the abilty to add 'sticky notes' to any captured locally stored webpage, or to any document stored in the Rich Text editor. This tool would function much the same way as the sticky notes feature in Adobe Acrobat and most PDF editors.
mirceglavni

Post by mirceglavni »

Am I doing something wrong or is the web-clipping function unusable? If I select in Firefox "Send to MyInfo" (with or without Attachment), MyInfo makes a "beep", and the web-page is in the MyInfo browser. However, if disconnect from the internet, or delete the local copy (using also the Scrapbook Firefox plugin which stores the complete web-page on hard disk), MyInfo reports that it cannot display the page.
I have also tried to first select new note / Web Document, entered the url and clicked on "Save local copy" (or something like this) - same result.

What am I doing wrong?!
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

I've not encountered that problem yet. What you reported is strange. I will do some more tests.

But I have found that the web-clipping function is not very robust despite the fact it IS much much better than before. It still needs serious improvements before it can match the amazing abilities of UltraRecall or MyBase's clipper tools.
I hope to see MyInfo's clipping ability match, or surpass those other excellent applications!

The webclipper needs improvement but is developing nicely.
Last edited by Coolrat on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.