zoom

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
wsp

zoom

Post by wsp »

Petko, now that you've made so many excellent improvements in 6.03, may I suggest once again that you turn your attention to the question of a zoom menu item?

I can't believe I'm the only user of MI who is struggling with this problem: I have a desktop computer and a netbook (the latter of which is sometimes connected with an external monitor when I'm away from home for an extended period). I've set the default text in MI as 14 pt Georgia, which works beautifully on the desktop computer -- and on the netbook when it's viewed through an external monitor. But on the netbook (which has an exceptionally small screen and high resolution) text in 14 pt Georgia is almost unreadable. I am forced to temporarily enlarge the text size while working on a particular document, and that is awkward and time-consuming, because it involves four steps (block off the text, enlarge it, then afterwards block it off again, and reduce it). At this point I feel I have become more preoccupied with formatting than with the substance of my notes.

In theory it ought to be possible to simply change the default paragraph style whenever I'm using my netbook, but in practice I find that doesn't work, because any text to which local formatting (italics, bold) has been applied does not change size when I modify the paragraph style.

Most programs that I use (my browser and my usual word-processor, for example) get around this difficulty by allowing me to scale the text on the screen with a zoom command. Is there any hope that MI will have this feature in the future? (And I would appreciate voices of support from other users on this forum who are faced with this same problem.)
Bill
gcoulthard

Post by gcoulthard »

+1

Yes, this feature would be nice. Like web browsers, CTRL + (plus) should zoom larger and CTRL - (minus) should zoom smaller (when the document window has focus).

-- Glen
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

I also think zoom is a great feature. I'm a former user of another note-app and several of us suggested to its developer to implement a zoom feature. Apparently its not an easy thing to do, because our pleas went unanswered.

I think a zoom feature its idea for netbook users. When the print is too small on a tiny screen, we can zoom in, or if we want to see more of the text on a page, can zoom out. I would tend to think that note-apps like MyInfo are the ideal application- low system requirements and extremely useful for nearly any type of writing task- especially as a notebook for students.
wsp

Post by wsp »

Petko, may I raise this question again? Can we look forward to a zoom command in a future version of MyInfo?

I am still using a very small netbook for note-taking in libraries, and the screen renders my usual screen font (14 pt Georgia) in MyInfo so tiny that it's difficult to read. I'm sure other users of MyInfo are having similar problems in moving back and forth between screens of various sizes and resolutions. We all need some kind of zoom. Are you thinking about it too?
Bill
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

For years I tried to get the developer of TreeDBnotes to implement a zoom feature. Apparently, the way that program was coded meant it was nearly impossible to implement.

I think a zoom feature is very useful for many users- especially for older people who sometimes cannot see tiny type so clearly. I would be of great use too when switching between a netbook when doing work out "in the field" and large-screen monitor at home.
Tester

Post by Tester »

wsp wrote:And I would appreciate voices of support from other users on this forum who are faced with this same problem.
Here is one more such voice. :D

Sometimes it would be comfortable to make a text temporarily a little bit smaller or bigger (that means without changing the standard font size). For this purpose a zoom feature would be fine. (There is already one, but it works only for the Print Review [see details in the Help].)
Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner »

+10
Hard to believe that 4 years have passed. I don't know of any other program that cannot zoom, so I had blamed myself for not finding the zoom in MyInfo.

Desperately needed, imo. I could not use MyInfo at all if I had not cranked up the font size, but this is no good work-around, the print font will be way too large. Not to mention that numbered lists do not increase along with the larger font, a bug?

BTW, how do those netbook user etc around here cope with the tiny font of topic tabs? I find them much too small, was well. What are your work-arounds?
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

There will be zoom for the text editor in MyInfo 7.