Loading times of databases

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
mirceglavni

Loading times of databases

Post by mirceglavni »

Hi there,
I am experiencing high loading times (almost 1 minute) of one of my bases which contains a photo-album. Granted, the file is about 800 MB , but previously I have used MyBase (wjjsoft) as my photo-album and it opened an even bigger file almost instantly. The same with UltraRecall 4. It looks like those note-managers don't read the whole database at once, just an index or something similar, and load the things you wanna view "on demand".

To other users: Anyone else experiencing such long loading times at big databases?
To Petko: Are there any plans for changing the way databases are loaded? I am no programmer, so cannot say where the problem exactly is, but I think a "gradual loading" of the databases would make this already great app even more versatile.
wsp

Post by wsp »

Yes, your analysis of the source of the problem is correct.

The solution is to break down your database into several smaller topics. This can be slightly annoying, but it is not a major problem, since MyInfo searches across topics easily. The rule of thumb that I try to follow is to keep each topic under about 50 Mb if possible, but in your case (since you speak of 800 Mb) you might have to work with slightly larger chunks--like, say, 100 or 200 Mb.
Bill
bevanj

Post by bevanj »

Hello!

I apologise for not replying sooner. I do not have an answer for you, but perhaps my comments will be helpful.

My largest topic is currently 531 Mb. The topic, Bills, contains images of all the bills I pay from time to time and have paid over a number of years. Hence, the file is heavy with images. Nevertheless, by my rough observation, the file loads in 4-5 seconds. I have several other topics in the 300 Mb range, also with many images. None have given me any problems with loading.

What may be relevant is that I am running Win 7 64 bit Pro with 8 Gb RAM. Perhaps the memory is what makes the difference?

Kind regards
Bevan
mirceglavni

Post by mirceglavni »

Thanks for the feedback!

@wsp: Thanks for the suggestion, but this approach is rather cumbersome, especially regarding tags (or is it possible to display tags from all topics?

@bevanj: You reply gives me some hope, regarding the fast loading times of your big databases. However, I doubt that it is connected to the RAM amount that you have, more with the fact that you have an 64bit operating system.

I have analysed MyInfo.exe with the Windows Task Manager. The funny thing is it when you open a database, it reads AND WRITES roughly the same ammount of data in a temp-folder (colomn I/O Read Bytes and I/O Write Bytes in Task Manage). This is the reason why it takes so long. Never noticed this with another information manager that I use.