Alerts and Reminders in MyInfo?

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
rbrock

Alerts and Reminders in MyInfo?

Post by rbrock »

Is there a way to specify a date and time for which an item should be reviewed or complete? I have searched this forum, Google, and the MyInfo help, but I didn't see anything.

I see that you can change a document's state to 'Reminder' but that seems to serve no other purpose than to provide a graphical reminder to the user when they are in that topic.

Am I just not able to find out how to do this, or is this not a feature in MyInfo 3.56?

Thanks
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

No, there is no such feature in MyInfo and we have no plans to add it. However, you can see all documents with a specified criteria (for example due date) using the Filter function.
flawgic

Post by flawgic »

I agree with the general MyInfo philosophy of avoiding feature creep and sticking to what it does best. Having said that, something like alerts/reminder is a very basic functionality associated with keeping track of tasks.

What we really need is a better way to customize MyInfo. For the sake of this example, let me use Outlook. Currently I can create an Outlook task with a myinfo: link within the description. When the alarm pops up I can click on the myinfo link to access more details. But I have to go through multiple steps to achieve this result. We should be able to do this by right clicking on a MyInfo task and selecting an option.

My suggestion would be that there should be a generic mechanism for executing commands on a specific document. We should also be able to add a context dependent menu. The best example I can think of is the menus that can be added in Perforce. If we can specify wild characters for topic title, document title, column attribute/value etc, it should be easy to do whatever we want to do with a MyInfo document. The context could be defined using state images, topic etc.

Once this is supported, you could add an option during installation to add Outlook menus. Or these menu files could be shared using this forum.
Let me know if I have not made the suggestion clear enough.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

This is a very broad feature request. I can see the point here and this would help us keep MyInfo both functional and free from unnecessary functionality. However we have other priorities for the next versions, before we reach this one.
flawgic

Post by flawgic »

Thanks for considering the suggestion.
jaws78

Post by jaws78 »

Any way it is implemented, something that will help us remember would be great as the amount of information a file can contain could get enormous. and though perfectly organized in space, it may get lost in time.
flawgic

Post by flawgic »

The more I use MyInfo for keeping track of things, the more I wish there was a timer/alarm. If you decide that reminder is not something that you want to add to MyInfo, please provide better integration with Outlook.
bsimony

Post by bsimony »

Petko - now that you mention development priorities, can you share some of your future plans for MyInfo with us??
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

All that I could reveal at this time is that we are staring the development of MyInfo 4. At this time I could not tell what features will be in it, nor what is the release date, but once we are close to release, we will notify all our customers, if they want to participate in the beta testing.
JanRif

Post by JanRif »

Petko wrote:All that I could reveal at this time is that we are staring the development of MyInfo 4. At this time I could not tell what features will be in it, nor what is the release date, but once we are close to release, we will notify all our customers, if they want to participate in the beta testing.
I would be interested in beta testing. Thank you.
Jan Rifkinson
Ridgefield, CT USA