For users of askSam: A Free-form Information Manager

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Felix, where is this SDK available? I would like to take a look at it?
mfelix

Post by mfelix »

Petko, I will have to send you the stuff. It is not publicly available anymore.
I´ll do so by private mail. I´d suggest we will post an answer here, after you´ve had a look at it.
HansG

Post by HansG »

Hi Felix,
looks like a light at the end of the tunnel, or two, regarding Petko's answer. Anyway, I'll stay tuned.
- And thanks for caring.
Hans
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

mfelix, thanks for sending me the SDK. I have gone through the documentation and it seems like a doable solution. I have to test it further though and will let you know, if it will be possible to create a pluigin using it.
gaborkiss

Post by gaborkiss »

Hi Guys,

I recently stumbled onto MyInfo and like others of you I started with MemoryMate (and InstantRecall before that) and then had to go on to AskSam. One thing MemoryMate could do which AskSam can't is that you could ask for "most recently edited" record. I used to use that a lot when I wanted to find something I worked on a week or two ago but didn't remember enough detail to search for it by keyword. I wish AskSam had that feature, and maybe it does but I haven't found it.

I have been very uncomfortable for years that there is no support. I think I last had a successful interaction with them in 2008. I have had a few occurrences of lost records and corrupt files, so I am extremely paranoid about AskSam.

I was happy to find MyInfo and that there is a mechanism to import AskSam files. However my first attempt didn't go all that well. The text was there but none of the internal links (bookmarks). I would need to preserve bookmarks for this to be a useful alternative to AskSam. And of course it would be nice to be able to sort on "most recently edited"

Has anyone had success with that?

Thanks,
Gabor
mfelix

Post by mfelix »

Hi Gabor,

bookmarks are not imported with the askSam plugin, because it imports only text and fields.
You would have to recreate the links, or check whether you can live with the textual representation of the link that gets imported. My advice is: import it all into MyInfo. Once you search and miss a link restore it, probably by going back to askSam to have a look at it. All rest you don´t ever come across again: just forget about it ....

Cheers,

Felix