[fixed in 6.20] Line spacing changes when exporting as web..

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
Tester

[fixed in 6.20] Line spacing changes when exporting as web..

Post by Tester »

The exporting of data as a website (in the professional edition of MyInfo) works great.

But I would like to point out a certain detail from which I do not know if it is a bug or if for technical reasons it cannot be handled in a different way:

When creating a document in the editor of MyInfo, in most of the cases I prefer a line spacing of 1.5 (and a font size of 12).

When exporting the documents as website (= html version) the line spacing becomes clearly smaller (something between 1 and 1.5 I would say).

Please take a look at the following picture to see the difference:

Especially in case of a longer text the reading becomes quickly exhausting for the eyes with the narrow space.

It would be fine if the line spacing chosen in the editor could be retained in the html-/website-version of the documents too.

Thank you.
wsp

Post by wsp »

Hear, hear.

I wish it were also possible to retain the background color.

These are the two things that hold me back from using MyInfo to create a website.
Bill
Tester

Post by Tester »

Indeed: the background color of a document is also lost when exporting it as website.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Line spacing sounds like a bug, I will investigate that.

As for the background color - it is an user setting (set in Options) rather than topic or document setting and it is not exported by design. I have some ideas how that could be accomplished in the future, but currently, it is not possible.
Tester

Post by Tester »

I discovered another formatting detail that is not retained: the width of the tables.

After exporting a document that contains a table, the table becomes much broader in the website version:

a) within the editor of MyInfo (= before exporting):

b) the website version:

Especially in the cells of the 4th row you can see clearly the negative effect of the difference.

(Note: My experience refers to tables pasted into MyInfo from Word documents. I did not test it with tables created with MyInfo itself. Anyway, the pasting from Word to MyInfo works almost perfectly. In MyInfo a table becomes a little bit broader than in Word, but this difference is not significant.)
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Tester wrote:But I would like to point out a certain detail from which I do not know if it is a bug or if for technical reasons it cannot be handled in a different way:

When creating a document in the editor of MyInfo, in most of the cases I prefer a line spacing of 1.5 (and a font size of 12).

When exporting the documents as website (= html version) the line spacing becomes clearly smaller (something between 1 and 1.5 I would say).
You are right about that: MyInfo exports font sizes as points instead as pixels and probably that causes the mismatch between MyInfo/browser experience. This is something that is out of control currently, but probably will be changed in MyInfo 7.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Update about line spacing: I've made a little research and it turns out that Ms Word exports line spacing the same way as MyInfo. Then, after more research, it turns out that Ms Word actually displays line spacing as 17% larger than HTML does (with the same line spacing ratio). Since MyInfo 6 tries to show things the same way as Ms Word, it does the same thing.

The good news is that I can fix that problem in the next version!

As for the tables: I've tried pasting tables from Ms Word and they export as expected to the web site. Please note however that MyInfo supports two types of tables: fixed-width and percent-based. You can see what is the table type by using Table > Table Properties: if the table width is in percents, then it is percent-based table and if it is in pixels - it is fixed.
You should use fixed-width tables, if you want they to look the same in both MyInfo and the web site.
Tester

Post by Tester »

Petko, thanks a lot for your research and for your information.

It is good to hear that you can fix the issue with the line spacing.

Concerning the tables I will take care of the details you pointed out.
Tester

Post by Tester »

Petko wrote: Please note however that MyInfo supports two types of tables: fixed-width and percent-based. You can see what is the table type by using Table > Table Properties: if the table width is in percents, then it is percent-based table and if it is in pixels - it is fixed.
You should use fixed-width tables, if you want they to look the same in both MyInfo and the web site.
I have tried it now with various tables (such created in Word and pasted into MyInfo and also with tables created within MyInfo itself) - and I cannot verify this result. The table still becomes much broader on the website.

In every case I right-clicked into the table and clicked on "Table Properties". There I chose for the width a value in pixels, for example 790 px.

Here the appearance of the table in MyInfo:

And here the same table after the document was exported as website:

Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Could you export just this document as a new topic (File > Export > MyInfo Topic, Document range: Selected Document) and send it at support@milenix.com?
Tester

Post by Tester »

It's on the way.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

It seems that the problem is caused again by the line spacing, so it should be fixed too!
Tester

Post by Tester »

Just wanted to mention that with version 6.20 the line spacing is excellent on the website. Now it is the same as the one in the editor of MyInfo - with the effect that the appearance of the documents on the website is much better than before. :D