Upgrade to version 7?

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
yfeng

Upgrade to version 7?

Post by yfeng »

Hi,

I noticed that whoever purchased MyInfo 6 today at bitsdujour will get free upgrade to version 7. Is there any upgrade cost for current version 6 customers?

Thanks!

YF
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Yes, there will be an upgrade cost for MyInfo 7, but will be just a fraction of the retail price.
yfeng

Post by yfeng »

Petko, thanks for reply! Is there any roadmap (feature list) for version 7? I am very interested in cross-platform support, is there an Android version available? Thanks!
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

MyInfo 7 is a work in progress and there is no public roadmap at the moment, however these are the confirmed new features so far:

* Cross-platform file format, which will allow the creation of MyInfo versions for other desktop and mobile platforms
* Instantaneous save and load of MyInfo files: the new version will use database-based instead of file-based information storage
* Searching in document attachments (for selected files types like text, PDF, etc)
* Multiple attachments per document
* Split, merge/join documents
* Zoom in text editor
* Updated user interface
* Many exciting new features to be announced later
mfelix

Post by mfelix »

Hi Petko,

great to hear that development on MyInfo is going on.
Please keep on going strong, I use it nearly every day !

Felix
Daly de Gagne

Post by Daly de Gagne »

Petko, will we be able to write and edit in multiple windows in version 7? If I recall correctly, when you introduced the multiple windows feature, you had said that in the next version writing & editing in multiple windows would be added.

Thanks.

Daly
Daly de Gagne

Post by Daly de Gagne »

Petko, have you seen this post? Thanks

Daly

Daly de Gagne wrote:Petko, will we be able to write and edit in multiple windows in version 7? If I recall correctly, when you introduced the multiple windows feature, you had said that in the next version writing & editing in multiple windows would be added.

Thanks.

Daly
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

MyInfo 7 will offer multiple windows support, so it will be possible to have many different views on both your topics and documents. It will be easy to switch between document only mode and full tree mode, just like in Microsoft OneNote. So, this will replace the current stand-alone windows, offering more powerful functionality.
yfeng

Post by yfeng »

Hi Petko,

Would the version 7 available to try sometime this year?

Thanks,
YF
wsp

Post by wsp »

Would the version 7 available to try sometime this year?
Good question.

Petko, may I use this as an excuse to offer you a couple of items on my wish-list for version 7?

(1) I'm not absolutely persuaded that I need to be able to edit MyInfo notes on my iPhone or iPad, but I certainly would like to consult them occasionally on my phone. I have tried various experiments with PDF files, creating them with someone else's PDF printer driver, and I've always encountered two problems: it takes a very long time to produce a PDF from a large topic, and I lose embedded links in the PDF. Is it possible for you to offer a PDF printer driver as part of the MyInfo package that would remedy these difficulties?

(2) I would like to use MyInfo for writing drafts for a couple of blogs, but there is no easy way of getting images from MyInfo into a Wordpress post. With Evernote I can drag and drop. Couldn't it be comparable in MyInfo?
Bill
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

yfeng wrote:Would the version 7 available to try sometime this year?
MyInfo 7 is currently in internal alpha testing (and few people outside Milenix have access to it). The beta testing should start in month or two and it will be available to all MyInfo customers, who want to try it out. It will not include the full feature set of the final version, but this will change in the months following the first beta release.
wsp wrote:(1) I'm not absolutely persuaded that I need to be able to edit MyInfo notes on my iPhone or iPad, but I certainly would like to consult them occasionally on my phone. I have tried various experiments with PDF files, creating them with someone else's PDF printer driver, and I've always encountered two problems: it takes a very long time to produce a PDF from a large topic, and I lose embedded links in the PDF. Is it possible for you to offer a PDF printer driver as part of the MyInfo package that would remedy these difficulties?
(2) I would like to use MyInfo for writing drafts for a couple of blogs, but there is no easy way of getting images from MyInfo into a Wordpress post. With Evernote I can drag and drop. Couldn't it be comparable in MyInfo?
I can't tell anything specific about both of them at this time, but thank you for your suggestions!
wsp

Post by wsp »

Thanks, Petko. That's encouraging news about your progress on version 7.
Bill
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

This is indeed very good news. I've been waiting for v7 for quite some time. A cross platform version will be popular I'm sure. I'll do what I can to introduce it to a wider audience and write a review on my blog about software useful to social science researchers at http://www.ambrosi.ca/gear-equipment-review/
pjmiller

Post by pjmiller »

Petko wrote:MyInfo 7 is a work in progress and there is no public roadmap at the moment, however these are the confirmed new features so far:

* Instantaneous save and load of MyInfo files: the new version will use database-based instead of file-based information storage
Might this mean that true clones (i.e. multiple instances of the same document) are easier to implement?

Currently the clones are not true clones because the child items are not synchronised. If you add or delete a child item for one clone it does not automatically update the other clones, they have to be updated manually. :shock:

If a clone were a true clone then any changes to any of them would happen to all of them because they would just be different instances of the same document and would therefore have the same linkages (this does not mean that the child items would be clones just the item they were linked to).

Please Petko, if this is possible it would be a major improvement as far as I am concerned.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

It is in our todo list, but at this time I can't say if it will make it in MyInfo 7, because there are other things with higher priority and demand.