sorting

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
wsp

sorting

Post by wsp »

A small question about sorting notes. In one of my notebooks I have a large long list (i.e. separate notes) of articles in various periodicals. I have also set up columns for dates and names of the periodicals (among other things). Ideally I would like to be able to see a list of the articles arranged by title of journal but then each article sorted by date. It's easy to do either of these things (sort by date or by journal title), but in effect what I am trying to do is combine the two sorting operations -- journals in alphabetical order, and then articles within each journal sorted by date.

Is it possible to do that?
Bill
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

So the periodicals are the parent documents and the articles are children?
wsp

Post by wsp »

No, I have set up the notes as ordinary bibliographical entries (in an ordinary alphabetical sequence), but I was trying to temporarily reorganize them so that I could carry my laptop to the library and examine all the articles, in chronological sequence, in a particular journal.

After some further experiments the last day or two, I find there is one possible approach. I sort on the periodical title column and then highlight all the note titles for one journal. Then I sort by date. At that point I can easily spot all the articles I want to see and move through the one journal chronologically. After I read or examine each article, I remove the highlighting in the note title column.

It's not an ideal solution, but it works.
Bill
comvox

Post by comvox »

Hi Bill,
you might try the following and see if it helps:
instead of sorting in tree view, use the filter function.
Filter the bibliographic entries:
in the filter dialog box,
filter ("edit filter") all documents that are non-empty (i.e. all of them),
"group by" the periodical attribute,
"sort by" the date attribute,
and "save filter as" any name you wish.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

comvox wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:55 am Hi Bill,
you might try the following and see if it helps:
instead of sorting in tree view, use the filter function.
Filter the bibliographic entries:
in the filter dialog box,
filter ("edit filter") all documents that are non-empty (i.e. all of them),
"group by" the periodical attribute,
"sort by" the date attribute,
and "save filter as" any name you wish.
That's what I was going to suggest too. Thanks, comvox!
wsp

Post by wsp »

Yes, that works beautifully. Thanks to both of you.

But just two further questions. Will it be possible to do something like this in the next version of MyInfo? I have experimented a little with the beta, but I'm not sure that it has anything like the "filter" menu.

Second, is there any way to combine the search results from two open notebooks? In my bibliography I have two notebooks ("primary" and "secondary") in which a given periodical might appear. Could I do a search for, say, the Scotsman newspaper (this is a real example) in both the primary and secondary notebooks and produce a single filtered, chronological list of the occurrences in both notebooks? I could probably live with the two lists I can create at the moment, but a single list would be wonderful.
Bill
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

In MyInfo 7 you can create a perspective with the same configuration. You will be able to even import the MyInfo 6 filter as a perspective, so you do not have to do it from the scratch.

As for doing it with multiple files, it is not possible yet in both versions..
wsp

Post by wsp »

Great news. But if in version 7 I change these separate notebooks into sections of a single notebook, will I then be able create a perspective that will sort notes (by periodical and date) from all the sections of that notebook? (Sorry, I realize that this question may be more relevant in the beta forum.)
Bill
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

You'll have to create the perspective for each section that you want to have it in, but it's easy to copy it from the first section where you create it.