Attachments versus links

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
Jon

Attachments versus links

Post by Jon »

Instead of attaching a file in the tree, I would like to have a link to the file. My questions are these.

1. How do I create this link?

2. If the file can be indexed (and searched) when attached, will I be able to search for its contents if it is linked?

Thank you.

Jon
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

To create a link to a file, create a note using the External Document template and then use the Browse for a Link to select the file.

Linked files are not indexed however.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Thank you for the procedure. Some observations:

1. From what I can see, you can link just one file at a time. It would be helpful to have the ability to select multiple files to link, as you can with attachments.

2. In other programs you can drag files and/or folders into the tree. The default result is either a link or a copy (attachment). Using key combinations (CTRL+DRAG or SHIFT+DRAG) you can alter the default so you now have a choice to create a link or an attachment. In one program, you have a third option with another combination of keys+drag. That option is to move the file into the program. The value and risks of this third option is debatable. It would be nice to have the first two options though (you already have one).

3. Are there any plans to index linked files?

Thank you Petko.

Jon