Web clipping

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
Jon

Web clipping

Post by Jon »

I am enjoying the added and improved features in version 7. In preparation for a research project, I need to take clips from the web. Articles from the New York Times and some academic journals - that sort of thing. But this is a slow process in 7. I have auto paste activated and from the time I copy to the highlighted text (and graphics) appearing in 7 ranges from 14 seconds to just under two minutes! This renders 7 unusable for me right now. Version 6 does not have this difficulty with any of the pages I am clipping (2 seconds is the maximum). Similarly, other programs I use have no problems.

In both 6 and 7 I started with a new database. You can test with articles from www.nytimes.com. I have a subscription but generally the first few will be free. The academic sites require membership.

Thank you.

Jon
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

I will create a NYT subscription and will test it.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Thank you.

Jon
Jon

Post by Jon »

Petko, also take a look at the rendering of some images after pasting into 7. In 7, the aspect ratio is incorrect and the image becomes distorted. This does not happen in 6. Try this in 6 and 7.
EDIT: I reexamined the images in 6 versus 7. There are some problems with incorrect aspect ratio in 6, but they are fewer than in 7.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... e=Homepage

There is also a difference in how some informational graphs appear. There are only a handful of programs I know which will display the graphs correctly so I understand this is a common problem. But with 7 the text following the graph becomes unreadable yet in 6 (and all other programs) it is fine.
Try this link to see what I mean.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/05/opin ... e=Homepage

Jon
Torrey

Post by Torrey »

I am using v. 7.0.5 and Windows 10, and also have a subscription to the NY Times, but my captures are almost instantaneous. I have had a mixed experience with the aspect ratio of images captured that Jon mentions.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Thanks for the feedback. I have been using 7.0.4 and was unaware of 7.0.5. Perhaps there have been some improvements affecting the speed of web captures.

Jon
jamal

Post by jamal »

Torrey wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:01 pm I am using v. 7.0.5 and Windows 10, and also have a subscription to the NY Times, but my captures are almost instantaneous. I have had a mixed experience with the aspect ratio of images captured that Jon mentions.
Torrey, how do you "capture" an article from the web (for example, NYT as you mentioned)? Can you share the procedure - like the exact menu command path? Do you get a "clean" capture? How do you avoid unwanted content such as advertisements and extraneous links?