Can't add New Note to List Perspectives even though Main is List.

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
lbw2112

Can't add New Note to List Perspectives even though Main is List.

Post by lbw2112 »

My Main Perspective is List type.
I added a few more perspectives that are all List type.
It say's "Read-Only Perspective" on the bottom but I can change/edit Notes and Titles.
I can't Add a new note though.

From what I've read in the Forum I should be able to add a New Note if the type is the same.

For reference, I imported this list from Files/Folders. It wouldn't let me import saying it was a tree structure (it was adding the folder name as a Parent name even though there were no trees in data). I had to add this as a Tree and after moving all the children to the left of the Parent (file folder where imported) I did a "Convert to List".

Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks,
Larry
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

I can add new notes all my created List perspectives, if the main perspective is converted to list.
However, I didn't do an import, but started from scratch.. could be a difference
lbw2112

Post by lbw2112 »

Thanks, I'll have to try a few things then.

Larry
lbw2112

Post by lbw2112 »

Even with Notes created from scratch in a List, once I apply any filter to a created perspective the Add New Note goes gray. I can only add them to the Main Perspective.
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

lbw2112 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:40 pm Even with Notes created from scratch in a List, once I apply any filter to a created perspective the Add New Note goes gray. I can only add them to the Main Perspective.
Thanks for the explanation. If a Quick Filter is active (in any perspective including 'main'( or having filtering rules other than the default insertion of new notes is blocked.

I would expect it to be 'by design'. Say you have a Perspective filtering.. and Enter a new note, by default not complying to the filter criteria. So the inserted note can't in principle not be shown, because it doesn't match the criteria.

OTOH, I created a new Attribute "AAA" with a checkbox. And set the Perspective filter for the attribute AAA' to be false. I can check the attribute within the perspective & they stay around even after being checked..

So there must be some room to the implement such a feature.. Another way the solve this would be to create a new note matching the perspective filter criteria set in the perspective panel...

Conclusion: it isn't possible currently. It's possible in principle if there is a need for it.. And I agree that it would be nice to have...

Petko's call ..
lbw2112

Post by lbw2112 »

Thanks for the help Telesto,

Excellent explanation of why I can't add a New Note to a filtered perspective. I can understand much better of why that can't be. It's simple enough to just jump in the Main to add them, I just thought I was doing something wrong. I'm still using MI6 mainly and importing into MI7 to get familiar with it. I'm about ready to just switch over and was trying new ways of storing and using my data.

I'm venturing into using Lists as my data which is at the point of being way too difficult to manage with most of it being in trees. Lists definitely have advantages I'm seeing more often than not.

I was experimenting with everything being in one main list with things broken down by Perspective, Tags and Attributes but now I'm thinking of just breaking down the list into a few main List sections.

Thanks again for the help and clearing it up for me.

Larry