OneNote to MyInfo?

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
Tiggy626

OneNote to MyInfo?

Post by Tiggy626 »

How would I import notes from OneNote to MyInfo? Is copy & paste the only way?

Thanks,
Tiggy626
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Tiggy626 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:57 am How would I import notes from OneNote to MyInfo? Is copy & paste the only way?

Thanks,
Tiggy626
Migrating from different eco-systems still a thing
OneNote 2016 might have an export function (no personal experience). Which can be imported into MyInfo. OneNote Online is different story. There is no export. So likely copy/paste until Addon or something like that being released.
bevanj

Post by bevanj »

Have a look at Gem's OneNote Batch:

https://www.onenotegem.com/a/addins/onenote-batch.html

It works quite well for me, but it's not freeware.
Tiggy626

Post by Tiggy626 »

Thank you for your replies.

Telesto, I was afraid of that. OneNote 2016 has an export feature, but it's only one file per page/section/notebook, depending on what is selected. That is not, of course, what I would prefer. What I want is to have an entry for each note to put into MyInfo. So it looks like copy/paste or exporting each note is my only option right now.

bevanj, OneNote Batch looks like it might work like I want, but I haven't tried it yet. The single note limitation for the trial means that I can't try out the main thing I want the program to do! I'm kinda reluctant to buy a program HOPING it will do what I want. I'm going to wait on that.

Thanks again,
Tiggy626
meerak915

Post by meerak915 »

Yesterday I ran into this problem with a 200MB OneNote notebook myself. I figured out a workaround, but be warned this involves using a PowerShell script. In light of that, make sure you know how to and *can* run Powershell scripts; and be careful with altering your execution policies[Footnote].

Preface
A) OneNote still supports exporting, but specifically in the OneNote 2016 Application. Notice this is different from the OneNote for Windows 10 app that you can also use. You may differentiate the two by their UI design. The 2016 version uses the older UI design with sections and groups at the top bar and limited tree navigation. In contrast the newer version is using the office 265 design and uses tree navigation on the right hand panel. Furthermore, windows does provide a Powershell API that interacts specifically with the 2016 application, not the Windows 10 application. In my case I had 2 books open in 2016 version and 10+ in Windows10 version, yet the powershell cmdlets operated and showed content from the 2016 version. b
B) I'm sure the powershell script can be altered to specifically load 1 notebook. I'm not very familiar with powershell myself, so I'll leave that to other enterprising souls.
C) This export/import process will not transfer the order of pages within a section. BY virtue of exporting files and reimporting them, they'll arrive sorted in alphabetical order. For sections with A LOT of pages, this may be a problem for you; but IMO is better than manually migrating pages.

Procedure
1. Open your OneNote 2016 application.
2. Close/open your notebooks to leave the target notebook open.
3. Resync them to make sure it's fully synced down.
4. pause OneDrive for 2H.
5. Open PowerShell ISE
6. Use the script source Ben Passmore wrote at https://passbe.com/2019/08/01/bulk-expo ... s-as-html/. Notice how this will read *all* the notebooks 2016 has open, and export them into directories + htm with embedded images to the export directory you selected.
If you run this, get no errors, but cant see the export directory dialogue, move the ISE window to the right or left and check if the dialogue spawned *behind* the window. I had this happen 2x.
7. Open MyInfo 7 and select File > Import
8. Choose option Folder & Files. The "Import In" choice is up to you, but I chose a new topic so i may delete it if there's an issue mid-import. Notice that the import process here will automatically detect the .htm files.

Footnote
I used the following code for setting my execution policy. This sets the powershell execution policy to allow execution of unsigned code you wrote (e.g. copy paste), but requires signed code for anything downloaded from the internet. Afterwards you may want to reset the policy back to the Default.

Code: Select all

Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -Scope LocalMachine
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Another very clumsy route:

1. Install Evernote
2. File -> Import -> OneNote (in Evernote) (needs OneNote offline to be installed)
3. Export the imported OneNote files to ENEX
4. Install Joplin (or run it portable)
5. Import ENEX file exported with Evernote
6. Now export the imported ENEX to HTML
7. Import HTML into MyInfo