In the meanwhile staying with 6

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
phaich

In the meanwhile staying with 6

Post by phaich »

So sorry I am, for me Vers 7.0.8 is unusable.

When I want to input or edit a headline in the tree, the input window stays as narrow as it is in the normal displaying mode, but the text changes to a big font and vanishes UNDER the input slit. So I can't see what I am typing. I have to finisch the input and than I see what I wrote, then in case of a mistyping I have to place the cursor at the end of the text and count with the left-arrow so many characters back, where the mistake is, than I have to correct it blind, since I don't see what I do. When I diminuish the font size of the lines to 8, then I can see the half of the input, but then the letters of the tree are so small, that I need a magnifying glass – or after input I have to enlarge the font size again to have the right proportions. This is happening as well in the installed as in the portable Version. This way is not possible to work fluently.

Then the reduced Find resp. rather Replace. In Vers 6 it didn't work in the headlines also not upward, but at least downward. In 7 it only works in one document, which has to be open. – In some Files I have about 1000 documents with headlines...

The third thing showed while longer-term working as very hindering is the cumbersome way to determine the location of my files. They are placed in several locations with all their utilities and other parts and belongings on the computer and it would mess up and brake up my whole working system to put them somewhere else. It's a system and order and not negotiable. I need to determine over the stuff without any throat distorting actions. By opening a file the program offers several directories but NEVER the one it opened last time the file. This just breaks down the zest of work.

So as it seems now, till a new Version I only will use Vers 7 on occasions I have to find something in a longer text and especially as well in the headlines. Then I will pull in the file into 7 and use the global search and then do the work in 6 open in the same time.

I was, even am, enthusiastic over the new features of 7, but while trying to work longer with it there occured obstacles for a fluent work. And secondly I tryed to figure out the motives of Petko, why he or even you Petko in case you would read this, you narrowed the abilities of the program at so important positions? Normally the abilities are in new versions widened... Would be too long to discuss this.

Wish Everybody a Good Time - Despite of Corona
Peter
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

phaich wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:51 pm I was, even am, enthusiastic over the new features of 7, but while trying to work longer with it there occured obstacles for a fluent work. And secondly I tryed to figure out the motives of Petko, why he or even you Petko in case you would read this, you narrowed the abilities of the program at so important positions? Normally the abilities are in new versions widened... Would be too long to discuss this.
MyInfo 7.0 isn't an incremental refresh of previous applications. It's a rebuild from scratch. The whole internal systems are re-arranged. So very part of application had to be redeveloped.

At some point you want to go 'forward' releasing something which likely working for the majority of users. The specific features and fine tuning is done later on with incremental updates. There is a pretty list of new features to add for next version major release which build on the new re-design.

Anyhow it's not the intention to lose long term users. A lot can be tweaked etc, to make existing users happy (I think). It's simply a question of reporting the practical issues you encounter (which are hindrance for moving) and hoping/assuming Petko will address those in a reasonable time frame.

* You're remark on tree input is valid and should be solved
* Having no opinion on search in replace.. can be adjusted I think. Not totally clear what you're doing. Sounds like renaming tree titles (we probably use different terminology)
* File the program offers several directories but NEVER the one it opened last time the file. Didn't notice, but sounds off to me. Sounds like bug too.

Let's wait and see what Petko's vision is.
wsp

Post by wsp »

I can confirm that there is a problem with font size in the note title column. It's fine on my laptop (a Surface Pro 6), but if I move the MyInfo window over to a larger external monitor, the title text becomes too large, as described above. Fortunately, I almost always use MyInfo on the smaller screen, so this is not a major issue for me. (But I should just add that the text in the global search column misbehaves in the same way.)
Bill
phaich

Post by phaich »

Hi Telesto,
thank you for your response.

It seems to me, Petko developed a concept of an information-base storing all the data at one central place automatically in the deep core of the program. So it wouldn't need the save. But there are other concepts of working as well. I have a one man publisher firm and so I have completely differnt needs than a "simple" "data" base. An information-base would be a part of it, resp. now I store informations of this kind concerning certain issues where this issue is processed. So the thought would be to open the program for differnt scenarios of work.
* Having no opinion on search in replace.. can be adjusted I think. Not totally clear what you're doing. Sounds like renaming tree titles (we probably use different terminology)
Terminology: There are two main units: The text in the document – I mostly call it document – and on the other hand the headlines in the tree on the left side of the screen. I mostly call them headlines.
Now the Find in Version 6 finds the searched term in the documents, but not in the tree. (And it doesn't work backward.) In Version 7.0.8 the Tools > Find and Replace only finds and replaces in the currantly open document. I can't change a term in the whle notebook file. And I don't want to describe the procedure in details to change a term in the whole outline. (The File is to export, then import into an editor, make the changes and reimport into MI to be able to process the idea in a hierarchically structured way...)

To understand better what is it about with search and replace, I want to describe you one step in the workflow which happens permanently: suppose, a book of 600 K is finished in MI, ready to typeset. The text then will be exported, processed for typesetting and is typesetted. The proofreader begins to work and founds somewhere in the middle of the book something to alter. Then he cannot just correct the typesetted version, the file of origin in MyInfo has to be changed in first place – the whole chain of work has to be corrected. It cannot be that the typesetted version differs from the original. Rather he has to go back to MyInfo, use the find, find the location and change it.

So at moment it will happen, that two identical versions of the MI-File will be open: One in 7 because of the global search (it finds the headlines too) and in 6 where the text will be altered and at last saved in the original place where the file belongs. Then, after finishig the proofreading the file will be typesetted again with all steps what takes about two days.
What I am missing as well is the "Horizontal Panes"-Feature...
To close the post I want to remark, that I am writing out of a friendly position, to help to make the program more usable.

There would be a lot of details - would be too long to discuss..

Greetings
Peter
phaich

Post by phaich »

wsp wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:30 pm I can confirm that there is a problem with font size in the note title column. It's fine on my laptop (a Surface Pro 6), but if I move the MyInfo window over to a larger external monitor, the title text becomes too large, as described above. Fortunately, I almost always use MyInfo on the smaller screen, so this is not a major issue for me. (But I should just add that the text in the global search column misbehaves in the same way.)
I work at moment with the same constellation but I just simply didn't came to the idea the program could behave differently on different screens. So I didn't pull the program over onto the laptop, I instead installed the install-version. Both behave exactly like yours. A little positive point.