Assign attribute columns at notebook level - replicate to all sections and notes

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
William-Dyer

Assign attribute columns at notebook level - replicate to all sections and notes

Post by William-Dyer »

I have an application that has 1 notebook with approaching 2000 sections each of which has multiple notes each of which is a pdf image and added textual notes about the pdf. While there is a significant number of sections and notes the overall physical MI database size is not overlarge.

I have established custom attribute columns pertaining to the notebook's purpose. I need to have the selected set of attribute columns (and associated column spacing) replicated for each and every document in every section created in the notebook.

Does anyone know of a way to have the attribute column selection replicate and automatically be applied to every note in every section? Manually "selecting" and "viewing" attribute columns for 2000 sections is not practical.

Does anyone know of a way to have the custom attributes be specific to only the notebook involved?

Thanks in advance for any help...
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Running into the same issue. Currently not possible I'm afraid. Except adding new perspective, and copy the main view of 'section 1'
But even that's a job with 2000 notebooks.

What you want is creating a template column view for main and being able to apply this template to all new one. And being able to change the (main) view for all sections at once.
In addition you might want not only template for main.. But not only setting a main view but maybe also a number of (pre-configured) perspectives.

I surely agree this should be optimized..
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

This obviously needs storing of template model.
Right click section -> Use this perspective as default for new sections (in this database)

And selecting multiple sections and apply template XYZ.. Right click context menu apply settings from section XYZ.

Another route would be a dialog. Where all sections are listed with template 'perspective configuration. Bit like organize favorites dialog. But more like "manage sections"
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Is this needed for the main perspective? If so, I can think of adding some function that could do that.
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Petko wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:14 pm Is this needed for the main perspective? If so, I can think of adding some function that could do that.
Can't speak for the original poster.. but I'm happy with any change related to this direction. So main would surely cover 80% of my cases.

In the long term I would however like the be able to apply a full perspective panel layout to new sections (as a template). And being able to overwrite the existing perspective configuration. So those can be replaced.

My initial configuration mostly wrong. Or I'm changing my mind.. say after section 20.. And reconfiguring those existing 20 is a lot of work. I not really preferring to keep my undesired workflow (or some quirks in it) simply because of my initial mistake. Whereas correcting it would take to much time. Especially if you know this could be resolved "easily" from user perspective [if that easy to build something else]
William-Dyer

Post by William-Dyer »

Hello All,
YES! anything that can be supported in this regard that allows defaulting predefined columns in all new notes would significantly help. Note that this needs to be at the Notebook level (if applied at the notebook level) or section level (if applied at the section level) and -NOT- globally at the program level. If at the global program level it is actually counter-productive and not desired.
William-Dyer

Post by William-Dyer »

Additional clarification.

Defaulting columns in all new sections needs to be at the notebook level, and not at the program (global) level as different notebooks may and usually have significantly different data management requirements. Having column structure #1 from notebook #1 applied to notebook #2 is just as unproductive as not having the columns defaultable at all. This is because a global structure forces all notebooks into a specific structure which may not be desired or intended.

The ideal capability will be to have all newly created notes within a section contain the (section) column defaults if there is a section-level column template applied. If no section default applied then inherit the notebook defaults if such exists. If no notebook level default created and applied then inherit the program (Global) application defaults of "no columns" as is the current implementation.

This would allow maximum capability and flexibility.