[solved] Import/Export many files

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
Tiggy626

[solved] Import/Export many files

Post by Tiggy626 »

I am still evaluating MyInfo, and the first thing I did was import a large number of files. I also have been exporting them to see if they come back out properly.

Unfortunately, most file types do not seem to export exactly as they went in. Particularly the image files. The ones that seem to have the least problem are the pdf files.

Strangely, txt files and rtf files do not come out binary duplicates of what went in. Is there something I'm not doing right?

I'm importing as Folders & Files, then exporting the same way.

I am also getting error messages - different ones at different times. I can work around that, but I'm just not comfortable with being unable to get my files out the way they went in.

I know I can always cut & paste to export, but that gets rather tedious with thousands of files.

Is there something I can do to export a lot of files at once and have them be identical to the ones that come in?

Thanks,
Tiggy626
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

When you import .txt and .rtf files, MyInfo imports them into the note, converting them to MyInfo text format (which ultimately is just HTML). That's why, when you export it, it is again converted from HTML to RTF and the resulting RTF could be slightly different than the original.

However, if having the exact carbon copy is something that you need, you just have to turn on the following option:
Tools > Options > Import > Always Embed Copy of Imported File.

Now, along with the editable text of each note, it will also store the original RTF/TXT file, so exporting it will retain its exact content.
Tiggy626

Post by Tiggy626 »

Thanks for your prompt response. I didn't notice that option. It solved my problem completely!!

Thanks again,
Tiggy626
lbw2112

Post by lbw2112 »

Petko wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:35 pm When you import .txt and .rtf files, MyInfo imports them into the note, converting them to MyInfo text format (which ultimately is just HTML). That's why, when you export it, it is again converted from HTML to RTF and the resulting RTF could be slightly different than the original.

However, if having the exact carbon copy is something that you need, you just have to turn on the following option:
Tools > Options > Import > Always Embed Copy of Imported File.

Now, along with the editable text of each note, it will also store the original RTF/TXT file, so exporting it will retain its exact content.
I'm curious about this since I do a lot of Import/Exporting.

If I import a file with the "Always Embed Copy of Imported File" option on - If I edit that file that means I have the newly edited note AND the original note. Which one get's exported? Or do both get exported?

Thanks, Larry
lbw2112

Post by lbw2112 »

Never mind that post above, I was having problems when testing it earlier.

I see it exports both files. That's nice to know. That'll be really useful.

I tried it on my desktop but for some reason it would crash every time I tried exporting my test file right after I chose the folder. I sent the error report. I just got a chance to try it on my laptop and it works fine there and see now it exports both files in RTF form.