serious problem with sorting by attributes

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
wsp

serious problem with sorting by attributes

Post by wsp »

In the latest update I am no longer able to sort by attribute in the note list column. When I try to sort, either nothing happens or the program crashes. This is not a problem with one particular notebook; it is showing up on all my notebooks. Can you fix this soon, please, Petko?

I depend heavily on sorting. In all my bibliographical lists, for example, I have a "Done" attribute placed to the right of the book or article title.
Bill
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

wsp wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:18 pm In the latest update I am no longer able to sort by attribute in the note list column. When I try to sort, either nothing happens or the program crashes. This is not a problem with one particular notebook; it is showing up on all my notebooks. Can you fix this soon, please, Petko?

I depend heavily on sorting. In all my bibliographical lists, for example, I have a "Done" attribute placed to the right of the book or article title.
I'm not able to get a crash straight away. So it appears to be more specific.. Any change to send in a sample file to Petko? support@milenix.com

Another topic is if a older version should be available so the old situation can restored until a solution has been found
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

FWIW: sorting does behave weird which might explains the here (or not). Reported that in the beta section
wsp

Post by wsp »

As usual, I fired off my complaint too quickly. I now see that the problem is in only one section -- seems to be completely frozen -- of one notebook. Very mysterious.
Bill
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Bill, can you send me the section at support@milenix.com? I saw your bug reports, but I am not able to reproduce that.

You can also try recreating the perspective (not duplicating it) and see if it will sort properly.
wsp

Post by wsp »

Once again, mysteriously, all is well. I have now taken a solemn oath that I will never again report problems here until I have waited at least a week!

Bill
Bill
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

wsp wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:45 pm Once again, mysteriously, all is well. I have now taken a solemn oath that I will never again report problems here until I have waited at least a week!

Bill
Bug are sometimes mysterious.. Have seen a few, without now steps to reproduce. Sometimes it needs a certain consternation of settings.. And if the bug report appears surely something gone wrong.. but well unlikely to happen..
lbw2112

Post by lbw2112 »

wsp wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:45 pm Once again, mysteriously, all is well. I have now taken a solemn oath that I will never again report problems here until I have waited at least a week!

Bill
Don't wait a week. If it happened once it'll happen again. I've had this experience with search terms not working, then it works, then it doesn't. No rhyme or reason. I can't reproduce why sometimes things work as they should and then they don't but then they do.

It doesn't hurt to Post it in the Forum. We don't think you're crazy. Bugs are like that.
wsp

Post by wsp »

Thanks for the encouragement. Software bugs can be mystifying. I remember a nerdy old friend of mine from years ago: whenever he tried out new software or a new command, he would bring his palms together, pretend to close his eyes, and announce wryly, "We will now assume an attitude of prayer."
Bill
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

lbw2112 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:22 pm Don't wait a week. If it happened once it'll happen again. I've had this experience with search terms not working, then it works, then it doesn't. No rhyme or reason. I can't reproduce why sometimes things work as they should and then they don't but then they do.

It doesn't hurt to Post it in the Forum. We don't think you're crazy. Bugs are like that.
Is this still present? If so, certain search query format? I haven't encountered issues myself, yet.
lbw2112

Post by lbw2112 »

Is this still present? If so, certain search query format? I haven't encountered issues myself, yet.
[/quote]

It's not a specific phrase but how I was trying to search using normal wildcards, double quotations etc.. I found that I couldn't search in Titles the same as in the Note Body so I spent hours copying the Title of every note into the top of each Note Body. Doing this I could use the asterisk wild card in front and behind the search term and it would find it.

Even doing that the search results change for some unknown reason when searching for a phrase with double quotes around it, which should only find that phrase but it would pull other stuff that doesn't even have that phrase it the title or the body. I'd try different searches and sometimes they would be different from one second to the other. Often the ones that didn't work I'd try again as another time and it would pull the correct results. I was trying different Boolean searches not knowing which ones MI supported so was thinking it might just be that. Also I usually found workarounds for any searches I wasn't getting my preferred results in so it wasn't a big deal. I use other Info Managers and they all seem to search and work a little differently.

Sorry I couldn't give you an exact answer. I'll copy it down next time it happens and post it.

Larry
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

lbw2112 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:36 pm I found that I couldn't search in Titles the same as in the Note Body so I spent hours copying the Title of every note into the top of each Note Body. Doing this I could use the asterisk wild card in front and behind the search term and it would find it.
The above has a ticket? I wouldn't expect any difference in search behavior between content or title. Ideal situation would be small example database.. And some instructions: I used following search query. Got this.. XYZ Would have expected.. ABC You can obviously also send it to support@milenix.com
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

lbw2112 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:36 pm I found that I couldn't search in Titles the same as in the Note Body so I spent hours copying the Title of every note into the top of each Note Body. Doing this I could use the asterisk wild card in front and behind the search term and it would find it.
You have found an Easter egg indeed :) By default MyInfo does not support prefix wildcards (*searchterm). However, we had a feature request from one of our big customers to allow searching by prefixed wildcards at least for a single search words. And we added that in MyInfo 7. However, since this is a very limited and inefficient search method, it is undocumented. I even cannot guarantee that it will stay in the future versions, as it complicates the code and is not efficient for large notebooks. But in this case the mystery was real.
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Petko wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:39 pm
I still hope for full text search with prefix wildcards (*searchterm) even if this entails using the slower not FTS search. Ideally with the option to set scope (say: prefix wildcard search for attributes like "title only") or including the editor. Searching prefix wildcards in text editor field (or attachments) is probably the slowest.

Prefix wildcards simply to useful; can't be missed. IMHO. It shouldn't be the default search option, obviously.
An in app warning of prefix search not being possible maybe advisable. I'm also inclined to simply use prefix searches like "lbw2112". Quite number of search engines allow this, so not totally evident this isn't possible. And reading the manual for limitations kind of hopeless exercise.. Who reads the manual?

The current 'hackish' solution should disabled by default and a setting in Options Advanced, IMHO. Under heading experimental. I still see that as the proper place, even though it's actually a 'hack'.
Last edited by Telesto on Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

I agree, Telesto. I will think about it.