Complete newbie with cloning question

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
Hilary

Complete newbie with cloning question

Post by Hilary »

Hello,

I've just installed and started experimenting, and run into a snag I hope you can help me with.

I like to be able to view the same note in lots of different places. For instance, the course I'm writing for my members that might also get sold separately: I'd like to see that under 'Membership' and 'Products' and 'This week'.

So I tried cloning - but that's really not going to help, because child notes aren't cloned with their parents, and a child note added to a cloned item doesn't get added to its clones. I'd end up in a lovely mess.

Can you suggest another way I could accomplish this? be able to see one note (and all its children) in several places?

Thanks!
Hilary

Post by Hilary »

One other question not worth starting a new thread: now I've created a user-defined attribute, is there some way I can delete it again? :?
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Hilary wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:34 pm So I tried cloning - but that's really not going to help, because child notes aren't cloned with their parents, and a child note added to a cloned item doesn't get added to its clones. I'd end up in a lovely mess.

Thanks!
This is currently not possible, I'm afraid. I do know more people asked for this. So it might happen. However you're not talking about cloning a note. But clone a (part) of a try structure. And the notes in the clone area need to appear at other places.

I would tend to 'perspectives' way instead of clones. Based on tags. But having some trouble 'visualizing' how this can be setup; and what the (un)fixable caveats are. Because perspective are not totally setup with this in mind either, I think.

Any change to create a sample database with same content of the arrangement (ideally send to: support@milenix.com) & some more detailed instructions how you want attempt to do? It's fine to describe your intentions based on the initial clone idea (instead attempting to use Perspectives; as I expect perspectives having some problems too (in current condition).

It's surely not that straight forward to develop. Don't think impossible but needs some creativity at the developers side.

Note: speaking from my perspective as user/beta tester on my personal account
Hilary

Post by Hilary »

Many thanks!

I had a go with 'Perspectives' but ran into a similar issue: if I tag a parent item (to make it show up in a Perspectives list), its children aren't tagged. So unless I remember to tag each one manually (which, let's face it, I won't), they will be missing.

Perspectives + user-defined attributes seem to be the nearest to a solution. Attributes aren't automatically inherited by child items either, but you can add them with a few clicks in the attributes pane. If I remember to do that (I wouldn't put money on it).

I think basically what I want is software with UltraRecall's management of the tree and attributes plus MyInfo's editor, with its sensible table editing, checkboxes and so on. Anyone got a magic wand?
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Hilary wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:18 pm I think basically what I want is software with UltraRecall's management of the tree and attributes plus MyInfo's editor, with its sensible table editing, checkboxes and so on. Anyone got a magic wand?
Petko has one, pretty sure. The question probably more when it will happen compared to if. Petko being pretty forthcoming related to user requests. So if there is demand, it will be introduced [and I think there is]. Next question is how soon can it be materialized.

There likely won't be roadmap/ specific time table with a fixed date. Prevent empty promises or rush job. There also lots of area's still needing attention (polishing/ improving). MyInfo 7.0 is "simply" rewrite from scratch. So current MyInfo more or less on par with 6.0 (with some advantages left and right and few downsides (rulers)).

But this should be only the beginning for exploiting the full potential of the new design. And it's hopefully easier to do new things an such. The topic of "Software brittleness" [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_brittleness] and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_entropy kicking in is still far away. So development can still spend 70% of the time at new things. Instead of 80% bug fixing and preventing software rot. With obviously the disclaimer: ballpark figures and speaking on own account.
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Hilary wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:18 pm Many thanks!

I had a go with 'Perspectives' but ran into a similar issue: if I tag a parent item (to make it show up in a Perspectives list), its children aren't tagged. So unless I remember to tag each one manually (which, let's face it, I won't), they will be missing.
BTW: would a feature like: 'auto-tag children in tree automatically with same as parent" to the job? And visa versa remove tag if not part of parent anymore work?