[fixed] Help - Rounded Corner Tabs

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
myinfo_newbie

[fixed] Help - Rounded Corner Tabs

Post by myinfo_newbie »

I was using the trial version before which has rectangular tabs at the top. I just purchased the software and installed the latest version, but it seems the new version has rounded corner tabs. I am not liking this rounded corner tabs. Is there any setting to configure the app to have rectangular tabs? Thank you.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Welcome to MyInfo and to our forums!

This is strange. Aren't the tabs looking like this:
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

It's not optional - as far I'm aware off: Background: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6839&p=13210&hilit=tabs#p13210

I took me 2-3 days to get adjusted/ get used to he rounded corners. I might even turn it back to square if I had to option (the 'raw square') look has something to it somehow.

The question: if MyInfo never got published without 'non-rounded tabs' would it still be requested? Or to put it differently, how many people would switch it back to 'square' if 'rounded' would be the default. Which currently pretty common standard.

So I'm fully understanding the issue. And I admit I never bothered having non-rounded tabs (even did like those).

So from user perspective I get the request. But I do see it as a triviality.

And whereas its technically possible to make it optional (at least I assume so), next question would be if a developer should desire this from technical perspective/maintainability. Those options need maintaining.. And need for example additional attention in case of component switch (software is like Lego, you build it together with pre-existing things and lots of glue).

And we can also take the UX perspective. More options bloating user interface. And how big is the group served by it? Especially the group who unconscious about those tabs being round or not.

We can it present it in economical terms. Should scarce resources be spend on this (if though the setting being relatively simple; setting up the automatic testing framework becoming already more work)

We can also argue. MyInfo being distinct application; With a own design. Setting its own standard. And shouldn't have rounded tabs at all. Be different, think different (or visa versa). So not following the masses. And the mistake is implementing rounded tabs in the first place? -> All screenshots on the MyInfo site lack rounded tabs (including Wikipedia). So making those rounded is pretty costly at marketing/communication department...
[Opposite of not following the masses: struggles with adoption/acceptation. Why does MyInfo look 'ugly', why not rounded tabs; this is a deal breaker for buying)

And advice Petko to draft some basic (internal) guidelines for making assessments (persona's) (User/UX/Developer) and impact on other (virtual) departments; like marketing/communication/ legal. After implementing something struggles start to move back or forward. People requesting rounded are mad if you revert. People who liked square tabs get mad if you keep it current. And comprise, a setting causing bloat and long term developer hell. Not this setting as such.. But snowball effect/Slippery slope in the long run. If you add setting, you get you have setting for that why not for..

It's has lots to do with communication/explaining why it is as it is and the truth that not every wish can get fulfilled.

Anyhow. I luckily don't have to make the call :mrgreen: I'm able advocate all directions (revert, keep, setting).
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Petko wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:06 am Welcome to MyInfo and to our forums!

This is strange. Aren't the tabs looking like this:
No
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Clipboard078.jpg
Clipboard078.jpg (39.06 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
Note: I assumed you did it on purpose: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6839&p=13210&hilit=tabs#p13210
Last edited by Telesto on Sun May 30, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Well, that's awkward. It seems that the authors of the tabs library added that option and made it turned on by default. That's not a problem normally, but the tabs are properly rounded only on non-HighDPI monitor and I work on HighDPI monitor, where they are not. So, basically, I've missed that one. I'll revert the tab appearance to the one used in the previous versions..
myinfo_newbie

Post by myinfo_newbie »

Thank you, Petko, for addressing the issue quick.
Petko wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:15 am Well, that's awkward. It seems that the authors of the tabs library added that option and made it turned on by default. That's not a problem normally, but the tabs are properly rounded only on non-HighDPI monitor and I work on HighDPI monitor, where they are not. So, basically, I've missed that one. I'll revert the tab appearance to the one used in the previous versions..
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Fixed in the latest build (MyInfo 7.1 - build 7002).